The Off Campus Housing Team
The Off Campus Housing Team is here to support students living off campus, either in University Managed Houses or in the private rented sector. The Residential Operations Manager and Housing Manager (off campus) coordinate the day to day operations in University managed properties and also offer advice and support to students living in the private rented sector.
First Year students living off campus
In years where University Managed Houses are reserved for first years, the University puts in place extra support for students living away from home for the first time:
- Access to the 24 hour University Site Steward team
- Residential Assistants to support students and help with minor issues
- Locks on all bedroom doors
Student Landlord Forum
The University runs a database of local landlords who have student properties or lodgings to let. Students can view adverts online and arrange viewings directly with landlords. The Off Campus Housing Team run a number of housing events throughout the year to help students decide on the best housing option for them and to provide advice on the process of securing off campus accommodation.
Any property managed or advertised by the University must be accredited under the Winchester City Council Shared Housing Accreditation Scheme. This means that the property has met all statutory requirements and also meets a set of standards. All accredited properties have been inspected by a qualified Environmental Health Officer.
Even if you live off campus, all the on campus catering outlets are open to all students. The Food Hall offers a range of options including breakfast, traditional home cooked meals and the Deli Bar as well as 'Tastes of the World' where you can ask the chef to cook just for you. You can order your favourite coffee and panini from the Learning Café or Café LIFE; a prime Buffalo burger or steak from the Games Room; or pizza from Cyber Italia, to eat in or have delivered to your accommodation.
To help you with your budgeting, the University offers a number of catering packages that will give you a weekly allowance on your campus card to pay for items in the catering outlets. There are three catering packages available, which cover approximately 10, 14 or 21 meals per week during term time. Please see our Costs page for details of these packages.
You can request a catering package or you can set up an online account so you (or family and friends) can add credit on an ad-hoc basis. You can also use cash to pay for items.
To ensure you have everything you need to get started with living in University Housing, the University can provide a bedding and/or kitchen starter pack. Please see our Costs page for details of how much packs cost.
- Bedding pack - contains a pillow, duvet, sheet, duvet cover and pillow cover for a standard single bed.
- Kitchen pack - contains a set of cutlery and crockery for one, mug and glass, tea towel, various cooking utensils, tin opener, chopping board, 2 saucepans with lids, frying pan, utility knife and cooks knife, colander, grater*
* Please note that it is a criminal offence to sell knives to under 18s. Therefore, if you will be under 18 at the start of freshers week, your pack will not contain the knives quoted in the list. For a more comprehensive list of items in the kitchen pack please email firstname.lastname@example.org