The Residential Management Team
The Residential Management Team is here to support students living on campus. The Residential Operations Manager and Housing Manager (On Campus) coordinate the day to day operations on campus and promote a positive atmosphere for residents. There is also a dedicated team of staff and student staff who provide out of hours pastoral care in the residences so there is always someone on hand.
Security and Safety
Here at Winchester the safety and security of our students is paramount and the 24 hour, first aid trained Site Steward team provide security cover, emergency call out and pastoral care among other duties. Our Police liaison can also provide advice to students.
The University's Campus Management team visit all on campus residences regularly and clean communal areas. We are sorry but our cleaners don't do the washing up!
Unlimited internet access is included in your rent. A wireless connection is available in communal areas and many bedrooms and all bedrooms have a wired connection. To ensure you have access to this service it is important to check your equipment will work on site before you arrive. In order to do this please click here. For full instructions, please follow the RESnet guide .
Whether you live in catered or self-catered accommodation, there is always somewhere on campus to find something to eat and all facilities are open to all students. The Food Hall offers a range of options including breakfast, traditional home cooked meals and the Deli Bar as well as 'Tastes of the World' where you can ask the chef to cook just for you. You can order your favourite coffee and panini from the Learning Café or Café LIFE; a prime Buffalo burger or steak from the Games Room; or pizza from Cyber Italia, to eat in or have delivered to your accommodation.
To help you with your budgeting, the University offers a number of catering packages that will give you a weekly allowance on your campus card to pay for items in the catering outlets. There are three catering packages available, which cover approximately 10, 14 or 21 meals per week during term time. Please see our Costs page for details of these packages.
If you are allocated to a catered room, you will automatically receive catering package 2 on your Campus ID card every week to spend as you wish in the catering outlets. If you are allocated to a self catered room, you can request a catering package or you can set up an online account so you (or family and friends) can add credit on an ad-hoc basis. You can also use cash to pay for items.
To ensure you have everything you need to get started with living in University Housing, the University can provide a bedding and/or kitchen starter pack. Please see our Costs page for details of how much packs cost.
- Bedding pack - contains a pillow, duvet, sheet, duvet cover and pillow cover for a standard single bed.
- Kitchen pack - contains a set of cutlery and crockery for one, mug and glass, tea towel, various cooking utensils, tin opener, chopping board, 2 saucepans with lids, frying pan, utility knife and cooks knife, colander, grater*
* Please note that it is a criminal offence to sell knives to under 18s. Therefore, if you will be under 18 at the start of freshers week, your pack will not contain the knives quoted in the list. For a more comprehensive list of items in the kitchen pack please email email@example.com
Students living on campus have a wide variety of facilities at their finger tipsm, just a few of which are mentioned here:
- Laundrettes at West Downs, Burma Road and St Edburga
- Shops on the King Alfred and West Downs campuses
- University library
- University gym and sports facilities
- Students' Union venue and other facilities