Our Sanctuary Award offers a full tuition fee waiver to five students per year who are:
- seeking asylum in the UK, or a dependent or partner of someone seeking asylum
- seeking asylum in the UK, or a dependent or partner of someone seeking asylum who has been granted limited leave to remain or some other form of temporary status
Please note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
In addition to the fee waiver we can help you cover the costs that come with studying (for example books, IT equipment or travel costs) up to a maximum of £3000 per year.
Applicants to the Sanctuary Award will need to:
- have been offered a place (conditional or unconditional) on an undergraduate programme at the University of Winchester before applying for the Sanctuary Award.
- be unable to access UK Government Student Finance (tuition fee loans or maintenance loans/grants) by virtue of their immigration status.
- be able to provide evidence that their asylum application is under consideration by the Home Office.
Priority will be given to applicants who live within easy commuting distance of the University of Winchester.
The Sanctuary Award is payable in each standard academic year of the course. This is unless, as a result of an asylum application, you (or your parents or spouse/civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK. If this happens, you must inform the University and the award will cease from the start of the next academic year, when you would be expected to apply for student finance instead.
How to apply?
Applications for the Sanctuary Award for 2017 have now closed. Information about how to apply for 2018 will be available here at the end of December 2017.
Back to Students and Money