Students and Money Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that hasn't been answered in this section, please email 
Student Finance England: 0300 100 0607 -

Student Finance Wales​: 0300 200 4050 -

Student ​Awards Agency Scotland​ (SAAS): 0300 555 0505 -

Student Finance NI​: 0300 100 0077 -

EU Student Finance Services: +44 (0) 141 243 3570 -
You can apply online for your student loan at the relevant website; please see the contact details above for the relevant link.

New entrants are advised to complete their applications by the end of May preceding​ your entry, for your application to be processed for the start of term. However, you can apply up until nine months after the start date of your course.
If you have applied before the deadline set by Student Finance, the first instalment of your maintenance support should reach your bank account on or around the first teaching day in September, provided you have:

• Applied for and received an approved application from Student Finance
• You have signed and returned your Online Declaration by POST to Student Finance
• You have fully registered and enrolled at the University

Please note; you will not receive your funds in time for Welcome Week, so you will need to have sufficient funds available to cover all your expenses during Welcome Week and until your maintenance support has cleared in your bank account.

The second and third instalments of your support will be paid directly into your bank account in January and May respectively. You can check your payment schedule by accessing your online Student Finance account.
​The most likely reason is that you have not signed and returned the declaration which was attached to your financial notification letter. Check your online Student Finance account, or telephone Student Finance.
​Bursaries are awarded by the University of Winchester based on the assessment of household income as carried out by Student Finance; In order for us to award the bursary, you need to have made an application to Student Finance who will then advise the University of the household income. This can only be done if you (and your parents) consent to share this information. If eligible, you will receive confirmation during the first semester and payment will be made in May.
If you are eligible, the University ​Bursary will be paid into your bank account in May. The exact payment date will be on your Bursary Entitlement letter.
You need to have made an application for a student loan in order to be assessed for a University Bursary.

• If you have applied for a loan, telephone Student Finance to give your consent to share your information with the University. If your parents have supported your application, they will also need to give their consent via Student Finance.

• If you have not yet applied for a student loan, you need to make an application to Student Finance even if you decide not to take the loans. This creates a record for you on the system which we use to pay the University's financial support. You will need to do this each year of your studies.
​The Student Support Fund is available for full-time and part-time UK students experiencing exceptional, unforeseen hardship, particularly final year students, single parents, students with dependents and students with additional needs. Students can only apply to the Fund if they are a current student at the University.

For more information on our Student Support Fund, please contact Student Services on 01962 827341 or email​
​For information regarding University housing costs and payment options, please see
​Yes; Tuition Fee Loans are available to UK and EU undergraduates who start their course after September 2012 provided they are studying at least 25 per cent of an equivalent full-time course in the relevant academic year. However, maintenance loans and grants are only available to full-time students.

To find out more about Tuition Fee Loans, please see the relevant Student Finance​ website.
​No; to receive these awards, you must be studying full-time and paying the full tuition fee.
If you have misplaced your original Declaration Form, you can log into your Student Finance account and reprint the form.
If your parents are supporting your application, please make sure that they have submitted all their evidence for an income assessment. It is possible that Student Finance have agreed to give you the minimum amount of funding as an interim measure if they are waiting for further details.

If your parents or sponsors think that the income assessment is incorrect, they will need to contact Student Finance.
You will need to log into your online account with Student Finance and go to:
Your Account, Change your application, University/college and course. You will then be able to update the information to select University of Winchester and select the appropriate course. It will ask you to confirm term dates and the tuition fee for your course, which is currently £9,250 for students starting in September 2017.

If you have already enrolled with us, you may not be able to make this change yourself. You will need to visit Registry Services on the first floor of the Main Building and ask them to submit a Change of Circumstances form.
You will need to contact the National Insurance number application line on 0345 600 0643. Further information can be found here:
You will be notified in writing once your application has been approved. You can check the status of your application via your online account with Student Finance; this will also indicate if Student Finance are waiting for any further evidence from you.
As long as you can provide evidence that you have submitted an application to Student Finance, you will be able to enrol. You will need to provide a screenshot of your online Student Finance account, and if you have any correspondence, please bring it with you when you come to enrol.
You need to pay careful attention to the definitions of a "person of good standing" on the Applicant's Declaration of Identity Form (ADIF). Student Finance will only accept an Identity Confirmation Form signed by a person on this list.

Share this page