University of Winchester Academics
The Study Abroad programmes offer you the opportunity to Study Abroad for a semester at one of our partner Universities
You can apply for the exchange programme if you are currently a full-time first year student or if you are a second year Accounting and Finance student.
You cannot take part if you are studying any of the three following programmes:
Single Honours Journalism
Single or Combined Honours Law
Single or Combined Honours Social Work
Archaeology/ Archaeological Practise, Sports and Primary Education students are eligible to Study Abroad during Semester 2 only.
Choreography and Dance students are eligible to study abroad during either Semester.
If you are offered a place on the exchange during Semester 1, you will be expected to stay at your host. University for the Fall Semester between late August and mid-December (dates vary), before returning to the UK in time for the start of the second Semester of Year 2 in early January.
If you are offered a place on the exchange during Semester 2, you will attend as normal here in Winchester for Semester 1 and then you will be expected to stay at your host University for the Spring Semester between January - May (dates vary).
Conditions for participation
- Satisfactory completion of all modules for Year 1
- You must be aware of the financial implications of the visa and exchange programme
- You must understand that the exchange programme is for the period of one semester only and will not be extended beyond this under any circumstances
- You must demonstrate that you have researched the institution to which you have applied, and must show an appreciation for the cultural, economical and social differences and understanding what this would mean to you as an individual
- You have been accepted at your host institution
- An understanding of the modules you will take whilst abroad
- If you need to change your modules for any reason you must inform the Study Abroad Coordinators of your intention and the details of the replacement module - before making the change.
- The University of Winchester is not obliged to accept any marks, grades or credits obtained in any assessment, essay or examination for modules studied other than those agreed with your Programme Leader and confirmed by the Study Abroad Coordinator.
- Any unapproved deviation from the list of modules given above may seriously jeopardise your progression onto the final year of your programme here and the final award of your degree. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are taking the correct number of approved credits at the correct level.
- The University retains the right to withdraw its support for any student who fails to meet requirements for the exchange at any stage or any student guilty of misconduct prior to or during the exchange.
Academia at host institution
Studying in a different country is a challenge and a joy. You should be aware of difference in teaching style, assesment types, class sizes, contact with teachers and expectations.
If you have a learning agreement at the University of Winchester please inform the Study Abroad Coordinators right away. We can help you set up a learning agreement in your host institution.
You will be marked and graded at your host university. Depending on your institution these marks will be returned and we will convert them to Winchester credits. All your modules (and module changes) must be approved with your programme leader in order to be eligible for credits at Winchester.