Originally built in 1880, and then extended in 1927, the Chapel at the University of Winchester plays a vital role in University life for students, staff and members of the community. It is a centre of worship and discussion, open to people of all faiths and of none – it can be a place of quiet contemplation, those seeking support or a guiding hand when they need it most, as well as a place of joy and celebration.
The Chapel is used for a number of different events and purposes – these include concerts by our Foundation Music choirs and ensembles, and being a war memorial for the two World Wars, it acts as a focal point for both reflection and remembrance.
From March to September 2015, the building will undergo complete restoration of its internal and external fabric, including a new timber and stone floor, a replacement font and altar, an improved heating system and state of the art lighting.
At the same time, a small side chapel extension (subject to planning consent) will be constructed on the north side of the building. This contemporary design by award winning architects, Design Engine, will both complement and enhance the existing chapel, and provide an alternative dedicated space for prayer and reflection. It is considered that this is a most fitting way in which to celebrate our 175th anniversary, and the project will also serve to demonstrate the University’s continuing commitment to bold innovation and architectural excellence.
Please click here if you wish to make a donation to the Chapel refurbishment project.