Overview of content
- Chapter 1, 'Religion and sensitivity to animal suffering'
- Chapter 2, 'Theology as if animals matter' provides a general
overview of the case for a moral status of animals grounded in theological reasons.
- Chapter 3 provides a deeper analysis of the relation between animal rights and animal theology.
- Chapter 4 examines the relation, and alleged incompatibility, between theological approaches to the environment and to animals.
- Chapter 5 provides an important response to critics of Linzey's work.
- Chapter 6 examines interpretations of the gospels that afford a larger role for animals.
- Chapter 7 is an examination of the role of animals in early Chinese Christianity.
- Chapter 8 is a fascinating, sometime moving, and sometimes hilarious account of the furore that surrounded the publication of Linzey's Animal Rites, and an examination of the wider issues raised by the book.
- Chapter 9 summarizes, and points the reader in the direction of the issues that animal theology needs to address.
"the greatest living writer on theology and animals'"
Bishop John Austin Baker
The Reverend Professor Andrew Linzey, PhD, DD, is a member of the Faculty of Theology in the University of Oxford, and Director of the Ferrater Mora Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics. He also holds the world's first academic post in Ethics, Theology and Animal Welfare " the Bede Jarret Senior Research Fellowship at Blackfriars Hall, University of Oxford. From 1992 to 1996, he was Special Professor in Theology at the University of Nottingham, England. In 1998, he was Visiting Professor at the Koret School of Veterinary Medicine at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He is currently Honorary Professor at the University of Birmingham, England, and Special Professor at Saint Xavier University, Chicago.
Other Titles by Andrew Linzey
- Animal Rights: A Christian Perspective
- Christianity and the Rights of Animals; Animals and Christianity: A Book of Readings
- Political Theory and Animal Rights
- Animal Theology
- After Noah: Animals and the Liberation of Theology
- Animals on the Agenda
- Animal Gospel: Christian Faith as If Animals Mattered
- Animal Rites: Liturgies of Animal Care
- Dictionary of Ethics, Theology and Society