This is a national award which recognises cities that are safe and enjoyable places for a night out.
The Purple Flag assessors and panel were impressed by specific actions, including:
- The ability of partners to put policy into practice to deliver real results such as community safety initiatives
- The excellent cultural offer and welcoming atmosphere including the creative use of public buildings
- The well managed Pubwatch scheme with active participation from licensees
- The successful partnership working between Winchester City Council, Winchester BID and other key partners such as the police, local businesses and key transport hubs
- The exceptionally clean and tidy city centre
Purple Flag towns are likely to benefit from lower crime rates, anti-social behaviour and more visitors.
For more information please visit the Purple Flag website.
Furthermore, The Complete University Guide examined crime in university cities. In 2015, the University of Winchester was ranked as having the third lowest incidence of student-relevant crime out of 17 universities within the South East.