2011 ‘The Weight of Necklaces’: some insights into the wearing of women’s jewellery from Middle Saxon written sources’. In: S. Brookes, S. Harrington and A.Reynolds (eds), Studies in Early Anglo-Saxon Art and Archaeology: Papers in Honour of Martin G. Welch, pp 106-11. British Archaeological Reports British Series 527 Oxford: Archaeopress.
2010 ‘Adomnán at the court of King Aldfrith’. In: J. Wooding et al.(eds), Adomnán of Iona. Theologian, Lawmaker, Peacemaker, pp 36-50. Dublin: Four courts Press.
2010 ‘The Oliver’s Battery Hanging-Bowl burial from Winchester and its Place in the Early History of Wessex’. In: M. Henig and N. Ramsay (eds), Intersections: The Archaeology and History of Christianity in England, 400-1200. Essays in Honour of Martin Biddle and Birthe Kjǿlbye Biddle, pp. 77-86. British Archaeological Reports British Series 505. Oxford: Archaeopress.
2010 ‘The representation of early West Saxon history in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle’. In: A. Jorgens (ed), Reading the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Language, Literature and History, pp 141-60 Turnhout: Brepols.
Recent public lectures
- 5 June 2013 "No History, Only Biography”: Recreating the Past through Biographies of People, Places, and Things’; annual Reuters Lecture, University of Southampton
- 2 March 2011 ‘Conversion of the Anglo-Saxons’, Isle of Wight branch of the Historical Association
- 14 October 2010 ‘The Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria’, Basingstoke Archaeology and History Society
Academic lectures 2011
- 7 March, Annual Toller Lecture, University of Manchester: ‘King Alfred and the Traditions of Anglo-Saxon Kingship’
- 25-27 March, Rewley House, Oxford: ‘Assembles and the Origins of Anglo-Saxon Kingship’, Dept. of Continuing Education conference ‘Anglo-Saxon Places of Power, Governance and Authority’