Students wishing to study at the University of Winchester should apply via our International Student (Non-EU) Application Form.
General academic entry requirements
For entry onto postgraduate programmes you will need to show that you have achieved a satisfactory educational standard equivalent of a first degree from an approved university. You should enclose transcripts of your academic achievements with your application, together with information about any qualifications that you are taking but are yet to complete. Further details about entry requirements specific to the country in which you live are available on our website.
For some programmes, you will need to show that you have achieved the required standard in particular subjects relevant to your proposed studies. For postgraduate programmes there may be other non-academic entry requirements, such as work experience.
Postgraduate English language entry requirements
Students whose first language is not English may be asked to provide evidence of English Language ability when applying to the University of Winchester. The requirement for admission to postgraduate degree programmes is:
- a minimum score of 6.5 in IELTS (International English Language Teaching System) including 6.5 in Academic Writing
- or an equivalent qualification (for example 580 in Paper-based TOEFL, 237 in Computer-based TOEFL).
You must supply a detailed personal statement explaining why you want to join the University of Winchester and why the programme you are applying for interests you. You will also need to supply two academic references, which should be on official headed paper.
Once our Admissions Office has received your application they will pass it on to the appropriate admissions tutor for consideration and decision, based on the entry requirements set by the University. The admissions tutor will then ask the Admissions Office to send you one of the following letters:
- An unconditional offer - you have met all of the University's academic, language and other requirements for entry
- A conditionitional offer - you are required to submit additional information; this could include the completion of existing qualifications, England language tests or additional supporting documents such as references or a personal statement
- A rejection letter - you have not met the University's academic criteria for entry, or the University does not think you will meet the entry requirements
Offer letters will contain the title of the programme being offered, course fees and starting date. Any offer conditions will be clearly detailed in the letter. Letters will be sent to the correspondence address you have given us on your application letter and this may be the office of any agent you have used to assist you in applying to the University.
If you wish to accept our offer you will be required to write to us confirming your acceptance and pay a deposit of 25% of your tuition fee to the University of Winchester. Once we have received your deposit, we will issue you with a visa purpose letter that should enable you to apply for a student visa, if this is necessary.
Once this process is complete we will keep in touch with you and provide further information about on-campus accommodation, start dates, language support (if appropriate), orientation and any other issues that may be important.
Completed applications and/or enquiries should be addressed to:
University of Winchester
Tel: +44 (0) 1962 827087
Fax: +44 (0) 1962 827288