Sport, Exercise and Health
Welcome to the Department of Sport, Exercise and Health
Welcome to the Department of Sport and Exercise.
We are one of the leading providers of sport-related higher education in England and have consistently high levels of student satisfaction.
We are a dynamic and contemporary department with a vision that combines excellence in learning and teaching with an active research and consultancy culture.
The Department of Sport and Exercise has a sustained track record in delivering an excellent student experience. We pride ourselves on our commitment to your learning experience and are dedicated to providing contemporary programmes of study that are delivered by subject experts.
The department offers an increasing range of undergraduate, postgraduate and professional courses across a number of sports-focused subjects including sport and exercise science, sports coaching, sports studies, sports business and marketing, and strength, conditioning and fitness. A key aim of the department is to develop graduates who excel when entering employment and engaging with the wider world.
The department has a strong focus on research and knowledge creation co-ordinated by the Sport and Exercise Research Centre (SERC). This in turn offers a diverse range of opportunities for student research degrees at both MPhil and PhD level. SERC has research links with a range of professional teams, public bodies, and universities both nationally and internationally.
Sharing our expertise and experience at local, national and international levels is an important aspect our work. The Sport and Exercise Consultancy Unit (SECU) offers a diverse range of services at a number of levels all of which further underpins the applied nature of our programmes.
Whether you are a potential student, researcher or client please feel free to get in touch with us to discuss what we can offer.
Meet the Sport, Exercise and Health team
Head of Department
Dr Hazel Brown, Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching Science
- Professor Eric Anderson, Professor of Sport, Masculinities and Sexualities
- Jo Batey, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- John Batten, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Andrew Burns, Lecturer in Strength, Conditioning and Fitness
- Richard Cheetham MBE, Senior Fellow in Sports Coaching
- Rosie Collins, Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Psychology
- Dr Stewart Cotterill, Reader in Reader in Sport & Performance Psychology and Convenor, Sport and Exercise Research Centre
- Elwyn Cox, Senior Lecturer in Sports, Business and Marketing
- Dr James Faulkner, Reader in Sport and Exercise Physiology and Coordinator, Health-Enhancing Lifestyle Programme (HELP) for Stroke Hampshire
- Tim Holder, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Dr Simon Jenkins, Senior Lecturer in Coaching
- Prof. Simon Jobson, Professor of Sport and Exercise Physiology and Head, Health and Wellbeing Research Group
- Helen Ryan-Stewart, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Andy Stevens, Senior Lecturer in Sports Business & Marketing
- Dr Jason Tuck, Senior Lecturer in Sports Sociology
- Chris Whittle, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics
- Adrian Wilson MBBS, BSc ( Hons) , FRCS, FRCS Tr & Orth, Consultant orthopaedic and specialist knee surgeon, Hampshire Hospitals NHS
- Professor Dave Collins - University of Central Lancaster, Visiting Professor in Sport and Performance Psychology
Research in Sport, Exercise and Health
Research in Sport, Exercise and Health
Research in the Department of Sport, Exercise and Health is coordinated by the department's Sport and Exercise Research Centre. Visit the SERC website to find out more.
Postgraduate research supervision
We offer research supervision in a wide range of subjects. To find out more, explore our academic staff profile pages above for individual areas of supervision or use the Find an Expert search bar below.