Sport, Health and Community
WELCOME TO THE SCHOOL OF SPORT, HEALTH AND COMMUNITY
The School of Sport, Health and Community sits within the Faculty of Health and Wellbeing. We offer a range of undergraduate courses including Childhood and Youth Studies, Health and Social Care, Sport and Exercise Science, Nutrition and Dietetics, Strength and Conditioning and Animal Science and Conservation.
We are a multidisciplinary department with programmes designed to support the development of academic and professional skills, which meet the needs of employers within a range of organisations working in Health, Wellbeing and Sport.
We endeavour to provide the best quality educational experience for all our students within a friendly and supportive learning environment. We are very pleased that our programmes consistently achieve good overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey.
Our values echo the University; as a department, we are a community committed to making a difference, passionate about seeing individuals and communities flourish. Staff and students are empowered to change the world for the better. We learn and teach to challenge convention with compassion and stand up for what we believe to be true.
At the heart of the department is wellbeing, we explore the role it takes and how it can be enhanced as a resource that permits people to lead individually, socially and economically productive lives. We seek to nurture compassion and embody social justice for people, animals and the planet.
Our department members excel in teaching, research and service in their respective fields, and their valuable perspectives of the industry can help you select the course of study best suited to your interests.
Get in touch
Whether you are a potential student, researcher or client, please feel free to get in touch with us to discuss what we can offer.
Meet the team
Head of School
Dr Hazel Brown, Senior Fellow (Learning and Teaching), Associate Dean for Academic Experience and Student Outcomes
Department of Community and Health
Meet the academic team
- Steve Ballantine, Senior Lecturer in Childhood, Youth and Community Studies
- Natasha Bye-Brooks, Senior Lecturer Childhood, Youth and Community Studies
- Gwen Clifford, Senior Lecturer Childhood, Youth and Community Studies and Childhood Studies
- Dr Sarah Earthy, Senior Lecturer in Health and Social Care / Associate Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Childhood and Youth Studies
- Dr Colin Goble, Senior Lecturer Childhood, Youth and Community Studies
- Rachel Harrison, Senior Lecturer in Education
- Dr Craig Johnston, Senior Lecturer in Health, Community & Social Care Studies
- Professor Andrew Knight, Professor of Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Dr Rachel Locke, Senior Lecturer in International Development (Global Health)
- Dr David Raper, Senior Lecturer in Community and Health
- Stephanie Richardson, Senior Lecturer in Education
- Dr Lisa Riley, Senior Lecturer in Animal Behaviour & Welfare
Department of Sport, Exercise and Health
- Prof. Eric Anderson, Professor of Sport, Health and Social Sciences
- Irantzu Arregui-Fresneda, Lecturer in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Dr Jo Batey, Senior Fellow in Sport and Exercise Psychology and Knowledge Exchange
- Dr John Batten, Senior Fellow in Sport and Exercise Psychology and Knowledge Exchange
- Felicity Beresford, Lecturer in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Richard Cheetham MBE, Senior Fellow in Sports Coaching and Knowledge Exchange
- Prof. James Faulkner, Professor in Sport and Exercise Physiology and HELP Hampshire Project Lead
- Chris Ford, Lecturer in Strength & Conditioning
- Dr Tim Holder, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Jaana Jeffery, Senior Lecturer in Dietetics
- Dr David Jessop, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics
- Prof. Simon Jobson, Professor of Sport and Exercise Physiology and Dean, Faculty of Health and Wellbeing
- James Kirkpatrick, Senior Lecturer in Sports Therapy
- Dr Laura Martinelli, Lecturer in Applied Sport Psychology
- Dr Emma Parsons, Senior Lecturer in Nutrition & Dietetics
- Dr Helen Ryan-Stewart, Senior Fellow in Sport and Exercise Physiology, and Knowledge Exchange
- Jordan Sahota Lecturer in Sports Therapy
- Dr Matthew Smith, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology and Convener, Sport and Exercise Research Centre (SERC)
- Dr Steve Smith, Senior Lecturer in Sport Coaching, and Coaching and Psychology
- Dr Andy Stevens, Senior Lecturer in Sports Business & Marketing
- Dr Vadim Taraban, Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Science
- Dr Jason Tuck, Senior Lecturer in Sports Sociology
- Chris Whittle, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics
- James Maiden, Senior Sports Science Laboratory Technician (Psychology)
- Eloise Paine, Senior Sports Science Laboratory Technician (Physiology)
- Edward Tasker, Senior Sports Science Laboratory Technician (Biomechanics, S&C, Faculty of Health and Wellbeing)
- Eleanor James, Nutrition and Dietetics Laboratory Technician
Research in the Department of Sport, Exercise and Health
Research in the Department of Sport, Exercise and Health is coordinated by the department's Sport and Exercise Research Centre. Visit the SERC website to find out more.
The department is also the home of the Health-Enhancing Lifestyle Programme (HELP) for Stroke in Hampshire. HELP Hampshire is a community-based exercise and education clinic designed to improve the health and quality of life of stroke survivors. Visit the HELP Hampshire website to find out more.
We have state-of-the-art research, teaching and knowledge exchange facilities, and are excellently equipped for Biomechanics, Physiology, Strength & Conditioning, and Sport Psychology. Find out more about our facilities.