Adrian Barton is Reader in Criminology. He obtained his PhD in 2000 from the University of Glamorgan. His thesis title was Managing Fragmentation: An Area Child Protection Committee in a Time of Change.
He has extensive experience in conducting evaluative studies in different policy contexts for statutory and third-sector agencies. He is a research consultant for the Prison Advice and Care Trust and a member of the board of trustees for the Harbour Centre Drug and Alcohol Service. For 2017-18, he is a member of NHS England LeaDER committee, as a consultant. He welcomes enquiries about consultancy.
Areas of expertise
- Drugs, alcohol and crime
- Policy making in the criminal justice system
- Barton, A. & Johns, N. (2013) Policymaking in the criminal justice system. Routledge.
- Johns, N.R., Green, A., Barton, A. & Squire, G. (2011) Trust and Misidentification: Religion, equality of opportunity, and public policy. New York: Nova Science.
- Barton, A. ( 2011) Illicit Drugs: use and control 2nd edition. Routledge.
- Johns, N. & Barton, A. (eds) ( 2009) Evaluating the Political Achievement of New Labour Since 1997: Social Policy and Public Trust. Edward Mellen Press
- Barton, A. (2003) Illicit Drugs: use and control. Routledge.
- Barton, A. (2002) Managing Fragmentation. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Barton, A. & Johns, N. (2013) Engaging the citizen, in Brown, J. (ed) The Future of Policing. Routledge: London
- Barton, A., & Story, D. (2010) A trip to the country? Drug use in rural settings, in: Mawby, R. I. & Yarwood, R. (eds) Rural policing Ashgate
- Barton, A. & Johns, N. (2009) Evaluating New Labour’s social and public policy within the conceptual framework of trust, in Johns, N. & Barton, A. (eds) ( 2009) Evaluating the Political Achievement of New Labour Since 1997: Social Policy and Public Trust. Edward Mellen Press
- Barton, A. (2009) Controlling practice: New Labour’s management, audit and ‘what work’ approach to controlling the untrustworthy professions, in Johns, N. & Barton, A. (eds) Evaluating the Political Achievement of New Labour Since 1997: Social Policy and Public Trust Edward Mellen Press
- Barton, A. (2008) The media and illicit drug use: fairy tales for the early 21st century? In D,Artrey, M., (ed.) Contexts? Media, Representation and Society. Chester: Chester Academic Press.
- Barton, A. (2006) Outreach drug workers and the crime audit process: Square pegs in round holes? In Squires, P. (ed.) Community safety: Critical perspectives on policy and practice. Policy Press: London
- Barton, A., Brookman, F. & Smith, D. (1999) Crime and Delinquency in Wales, in Dunkerley, D. & Thompson, A. (eds) Wales Today. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
Refereed publications in academic journals
- Barton, A., Johns, N..and Magee, S. (2017) Looking beyond tasks to develop flexible leadership. British Journal of Healthcare Management 23 (03), 225-30.
- Barton, A. and Husk, K. (2014) ‘I don’t really like the pub...’: reflections on young people and pre-loading alcohol, Drugs and Alcohol Today vol. 2 324-40
- Al-Faris, K., Barton, A (2014) ‘Immigration policy criteria: A comparative study between the UK and Canada’ Social & Public Policy Review, 9,1, 45-57
- Johns, N., Barton, A., & Hyde, M. (2013) Rent seeking as social policy: A UK case study, Journal of Social Research and Policy Vol. 4 issue 1
- Barton, A., & Husk, K. (2012) Controlling pre-loaders: alcohol related violence in an English night time economy Drugs and Alcohol Today vol 12 (2) 89-97
- Green, A., Johns, N., Barton, A. & Squire, G. (2012) Religion, public policy and equalising opportunities Critical Social Policy
- Hyde, M., & Barton, A.(2012) Should Europeans fear the privatization of pensions? Journal of Comparative Social Welfare, vol 28, no 2.
- Barton, A., Johns, N.R., Green, A., Hyde, M. & Squire, G. (2011) 'Controlling God in the UK: The vexed question of political accountability and faith-based groups', Journal of Politics and Law Vol. 4 no 2 3-13
- Barton, A. (2011) Screening and brief intervention of detainees for alcohol use: a social crime prevention approach to combating alcohol-related crime? Howard Journal of Criminal Justice Vol. 50, No 1 62-74
- Johns, N.R., Hyde, M. & Barton, A.(2010) ' Diversity or Solidarity? Making sense of the 'new' social democracy', Diversity (Open Access)
- Johns, N., Barton, A, & Squire, G. (2009) Street pastors: from crime prevention to re-moralization, British Society of Criminology online journal
- Barton, A., Squire, G., & Patterson, M. (2009) Screening and Brief Intervention for alcohol use in a Custody Suite: the shape of things to come? Social Policy and Society 8:4, 463, 473
- Barton, A. (2008) New Labour’s management, audit and what works approach to controlling untrustworthy professions Public Policy and Administration vol 23, no. 3 263-277
- Barton, A. & Barton, S. (2007) Location, Location, Location: The challenges of ‘space’ and ‘place’ in youth work, Youth and Policy no. 96, Summer 2007, 41-50.
- Barton, A.& Teagle, R. (2007) Police-Led Proactive Prevention of Youth Crime: A case for the innovative use of support workers? Crime Prevention and Community Safety: An International Journal. Vol. 9 no. 1, 21 -33.
- Barton, A. (2005) Working in the margins: shadowland agencies, outreach workers and the crime audit process Drugs: Education, prevention and policy vol.12 no. 3, 239-246
- Barton, A. & Welbourne, P. (2005) Context and its significance in identifying ‘what works’ in child protection Child Abuse Review
- Barton, A. & Johns, N. (2005) Pragmatism and the third way: an open door for new racism? Social Policy and Society 4 (3)
- Gilling, D. & Barton, A.(2005) Dangers Lurking in the Deep: the transformative potential of the crime audit. Criminal Justice Policy vol 5. no 2 163-180
- Barton, A. & James, Z. (2003) Run to the Sun: Policing Contested Perceptions of Risk, Policing and Society. Vol 13. No. 3 259-270.
- Barton, A. & Quinn, C. (2002) Risk Management of Groups or respect for the Individual? Issues for information sharing and confidentiality in DTTOs, Drugs: education, prevention and policy. Vol. 9, no.1 35-43.
- Barton, A.(2002) Evaluation research as passive and apolitical? Some reflections from the field, International Journal of Social Research Methodology, Theory and Practice. Vol. 5, No. 4, 371-378
- Barton, A. & Quinn. C. (2001) The Supremacy of Joined-Up Working: A Pandora’s Box for Organisational Identity? Public Policy & Administration Vol 16, No. 2. 49-62.
- Barton, A.(2001) Devising substance use education programmes for parents: A case study from Wales, Health Education, Vol. 101, no. 6, 274-282.
- Barton, A.(2000) A Tale of Two Projects: the growth and development of two neighbourhood watch schemes in South Wales. Crime Prevention and Community Safety: An International Journal. Vol. 2 no. 3, 7-16.
- Barton, A. (1999) Sentenced to treatment: Criminal Justice Orders and the health service, Critical Social Policy, Vol. 19 (4) 463-483
- Barton, A. (1999) Breaking the Drug/Crime Link: The Birth of a New Approach? Howard Journal of Criminal Justice. Vol. 38, no. 2, 144-157.
- Gilling, D. & Barton, A. (1997) Crime Prevention and Community Safety: a new home for social policy? Critical Social Policy vol. 17 (3), 63-83.