I hold a BA and an MA in Classics from the University of Turin, Italy (110 cum laude/110) and a PhD in Classics from the University of Durham (awarded in 2013). In 2014-15 I was a Research Fellow at the University of Durham, working on the ERC-funded project 'Living Poets: A New Approach To Ancient Poetry'. I worked at the University of Exeter as a Lecturer in Classics and Ancient History for the academic year 2015-16, and I joined the University of Winchester as a Lecturer in Classical Studies in September 2016.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA).
Areas of expertise
- Early Greek poetry, especially archaic Greek epic
- Biographical representations of the ancient poets
- The Sophists and their interaction with the epic tradition
- Homer and Hesiod in the Renaissance
- Textual criticism and manuscript studies
- P. Bassino, Certamen Homeri et Hesiodi: A Commentary. De Gruyter (forthcoming).
- P. Bassino, L. G. Canevaro and B. Graziosi (eds) (2017), Conflict and Consensus in Early Greek Hexameter Poetry. Cambridge University Press.
- 'On Constructive Conflict and Disruptive Peace', in P. Bassino, L. G. Canevaro, B. Graziosi (eds) (2017), Conflict and Consensus in Early Greek Hexameter Poetry. Cambridge University Press.
- 'Homer: A Guide to Selected Sources'. Living Poets (2014). University of Durham, online publication.
- 'Lesches and the Contest between Homer and Hesiod'. Kyklos@Classics@ 1 (2013). Efimia D. Karakantza (ed.), The Center for Hellenic Studies of Harvard University, online publication.
- 'Certamen Homeri et Hesiodi: nuovi spunti per una riconsiderazione delle testimonianze papiracee'. Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 180 (2012): 38-42.
- Review of S. Scully, Hesiod's Theogony. From Near Eastern Creation Myths to Paradise Lost. Oxford 2015. Classical Review 66.2, July 2016.
- Review of M. Baier, Neun Leben des Homer. Eine Übersetzung und Erläuterung der antiken Biographien, Hamburg 2013. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2014.09.35.
- Review of J. Ready, Character, Narrator, and Simile in the Iliad, Cambridge 2011. Journal of Hellenic Studies 133 (2013): 159.
- Review of M. Kivilo, Early Greek Poets' Lives: The Shaping of the Tradition, Leiden 2010. Journal of Hellenic Studies 132 (2012): 174-5.
Percorsi dell'esegesi esiodea da Plutarco a Tzetzes: il caso di Op. 648-662. 24 May 2016 Conference 'Omero, Esiodo, Eschilo, Pindaro: forme e trasmissione dell'esegesi antica' . University of Bologna
Marcus Musurus Reader of the Certamen Homeri et Hesiodi. 13 October 2015 Research Seminars series University of Exeter, Department of Classics and Ancient History.
The Tradition of the Contest between Homer and Hesiod. 11 September 2015 Conference 'Contests of Speech and Song in Greek and Latin Literature'. University of Oxford, St Anne's College.
Ad ipsa Homerica loca: The Journey of Ciriaco d'Ancona to the Tomb of the Epic Poet. 13 September 2014 Conference 'Tombs of the Ancient Poets: Between Text and Material Culture' (Co-authored with Dr Peter Fane-Saunders). University of Durham, Department of Classics and Ancient History.
Strategies of Enjambment in the Homeric Tradition. 5 April 2013 Classical Association Conference. University of Reading, Department of Classics and Ancient History.
Conflict in the Certamen Homeri et Hesiodi. 3 July 2012 Conference 'Conflict and Consensus in Early Hexameter Poetry'. University of Durham, Department of Classics and Ancient History.
Lesches and the Contest between Homer and Hesiod. 27 June 2012 'Kyklos' project. Center for Hellenic Studies, Harvard University.
The Textual Tradition of the Certamen Homeri et Hesiodi. 12 April 2012 Classical Association Conference. University of Exeter, Department of Classics and Ancient History.
Lucian and the Lives of Homer. 18 April 2011 Classical Association Conference. University of Durham, Department of Classics and Ancient History.
Conflict and Consensus in Early Greek Hexameter Poetry. International Conference, University of Durham, Department of Classics and Ancient History, 2-4 July 2012. Visit the website.Staff Directory