Dr Synne Behrndt (born in Copenhagen, Denmark) is Senior Lecturer in Performing Arts. She is a dramaturg, researcher and lecturer. She has worked as a production dramaturg in Denmark and the UK, and is the co-founder of Danish performance company Secret Hotel.
Behrndt has published writing on performance: Dramaturgy and Performance co-written with Cathy Turner (Palgrave Macmillan) and contributed a chapter to Devising in Process (eds. Jackie Smart and Alex Mermikides/Palgrave Macmillan). Together with Turner she was guest editor of the ‘New Dramaturgies’ special issue of Contemporary Theatre Review (20:2). She has presented papers and been an invited speaker at conferences and events in Tel Aviv, Maribor, Hamburg, Ghent, London, Belfast and Copenhagen. She co-facilitated the international Symposium ‘Devised Dramaturgy: A Shared Space’, together with Sodja Lotker (Archa Theatre and Prague Quadrennial).
Behrndt was previously a visiting lecturer and research assistant at Dartington College of Arts and has been a member of staff at Winchester since 2001.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification
Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA)
Areas of expertise
- Contemporary European Devising
- Performance Practices
- Co-author and co-editor of Performance documentation material ‘On Ageing: Reflections, Conversations, Research’ (2011). With David Harradine (Fevered Sleep).
- Co-author and co-editor of Performance documentation ‘Invisible Things: Documentation from a Devising Process’ (2011). With David Harradine (Fevered Sleep).
- Chapter ‘People Show in Rehearsal: People Show #118 - The Birthday Tour’, in Devising in Process (eds. Alex Mermikides & Jackie Smart), Palgrave Macmillan (2010).
- Co-guest editor with Cathy Turner of special issue ‘New Dramaturgies’, Contemporary Theatre Review 20:2 (2010).
- Article ‘Dance, Dramaturgy and dramaturgical thinking’ in Contemporary Theatre Review 20:2 (2010).
- Co-author with Cathy Turner of Dramaturgy and Performance, Palgrave Macmillan (2008).
- Dramaturg on performance Above me The Wide Blue Sky, directed by David Harradine & Sam Butler (Fevered Sleep), Young Vic and LiCA (London and Lancaster 2013).
- Dramaturg on performance Invisible, directed by Douglas Rintoul (Transport Theatre), New Wolsey (Ipswich, 2011. Then UK and international tour).
- Dramaturg on performance On Ageing, directed by David Harradine & Sam Butler (Fevered Sleep), Young Vic (London, 2010)
- Dramaturg on performance An Infinite Line:Brighton, directed by David Harradine (Fevered Sleep), Brighton Festival (Brighton 2008).