Dr Justin Beneke is Senior Lecturer in Marketing. He has spent over a decade in academia, working at both the University of Cape Town, South Africa and currently the University of Winchester. He gained his Doctorate from Edinburgh Business School, Heriot Watt University, Scotland in 2014.
Justin has held a strong interest in business and marketing from an early age. He considers himself to be a ‘pracademic’, straddling academia and industry, never forgetting that his true love of marketing shouldn’t be merely confined to the lecture hall or buried deep in the bowels of the library.
His teaching has spanned multiple domains of marketing, with a particular focus on technology, relationship management and understanding what underpins consumer behaviour. Lately he has focussed on teaching senior undergraduate (3rd/4th year) and potgraduate (MSc) students.
Areas of expertise
Business and marketing
- Beneke, J and Rozum, K. 2018. Brand perception across cultures: A comparative study of Skoda’s brand characteristics in Poland and the United Kingdom. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, 12(2), 1-14.
- Beneke, J. 2017. The arduous journey of private labels: Insights from the South African Market and Further Afield. Journal of Food Products Marketing, 23(6), 668-682.
- Beneke, J., Blampied, S., Dewar, N. and Soriano, L. 2016. The Impact of Market Orientation and Learning Orientation on Organisational Performance: A study of SMEs in Cape Town, South Africa. Journal of Research in Marketing & Entrepreneurship, 18, 90-108.
- Beneke, J., de Sousa, S., Mbuyu, M. and Wickham, B. 2015. The effect of negative online customer reviews on brand equity and purchase intention of consumer electronics in South Africa. The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 26, 171-201.
- Beneke, J., Mathews, O., Munthree, T. and Pillay, K. 2015. The role of package colour in influencing purchase intent of bottled water: A South African perspective. Journal of Research in Marketing & Entrepreneurship, 17(2), 165-192.
- Beneke, J. and Carter, S. 2015 The development of a consumer value proposition of private label brands and the application thereof in a South African retail context. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services,25 (4) 22-35.
- Beneke, J. 2015. Editorial: Brands under the spotlight – Global perspectives on food buying behaviour. British Food Journal, 117(2).
- Beneke, J. and Trappler, E. 2015. The might of the brand: A comparative analysis of brand prevalence in an emerging market setting. British Food Journal, 117(2), 485-505
- Beneke, J., Blampied, S., Miszczak, S. and Parker, P. 2014. Social networking the brand - An exploration of the drivers of attitude and brand image. Journal of Food Products Marketing, 20(4), 362-389.
- Beneke, J., Greene, A., Lok, I. and Mallett, K. 2012. An investigation into the perceived risks associated with grocery private label brand purchase intent in South Africa. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 21(1), 4-14.
- Beneke, J., Cumming, A. and Jolly, L. 2013. The effect of item reduction on consumer assortment satisfaction – A consideration of the category of red wine in a controlled retail setting. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 20, 3, 282-291.
- Beneke, J., Flynn, R., Greig, T. and Mukaiwa, M. 2013. The influence of perceived product quality, perceived relative price and perceived risk on customer perceived value: A study of private label merchandise. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 22(3), 218-228.
- Beneke, J; Frey, N; Pelteret, E; Tladi, T and Gordon, D. 2012. Don't bank on it: Delineating the Relationship between Corporate Social Responsibility and Retail Banking Affinity. South African Journal of Business Management, 43(1), 45-46.
Selected book chapters
- Beneke, J. 2016. Chapter 5: Layout and Design In: N. Terblanche (ed), Retail Management 2nd edition. Oxford University Press: Cape Town. In press.
- Beneke, J. 2015. Chapter 12: Marketing Channels & Supply Chain Management. In: P. Kotler et al, Principles of Marketing - Global and South African Perspectives (second edition): 366-399. Pearson: Cape Town. ISBN 9781775789499.
- Beneke, J. 2015. Chapter 13: Retailing & Wholesaling. In: P. Kotler et al, Principles of Marketing - Global and South African Perspectives (second edition): 400-433. Pearson: Cape Town. ISBN 9781775789499.