Professor Martin Broad is the Dean of the Faculty of Business, Law and Digital Technologies at the University of Winchester. He is a Chartered Management Accountant with a PhD in Management Accounting from the University of Bath and has held numerous posts at the University of Southampton including most recently the Head of Southampton Business School before being appointed as Faculty Dean in September 2020. Martin is also involved with the Chartered Association of Business Schools (Chartered ABS) being a former Chair of the International Committee (remains as an active member) and also Vice Chair of Council of the Chartered ABS. With 30 years of experience in higher education and a keen research interest in higher education governance and management accounting he has been PI on funded research activity with the British Council and the Worldwide University Network where his research has an international focus.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Areas of expertise
Higher Education Governance
Performance Management and Management Accounting
- Soobaroyen, T., Ntim, C., Broad, M., Agrizzi, D., & Vithana, K. (2019). Exploring the oversight of risk management in UK higher education institutions: the case of audit committees. Accounting Forum, 43(4), 404-425. DOI: 10.1080/01559982.2019.1605872, 10.1016/j.accfor.2018.09.003
- Ntim, C. G., Soobaroyen, T., & Broad, M. (2017). Governance structures, voluntary disclosures and public accountability: the case of UK higher education institutions. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 30(1), 65-118. DOI: 10.1108/AAAJ-10-2014-1842
- Manville, G., Greatbanks, R., Wainwright, T., & Broad, M. (2016). Visual performance management in housing associations: a crisis of legitimation or the shape of things to come? Public Money & Management, 36(2), 105-112. DOI: 10.1080/09540962.2016.1118933
- Soobaroyen, T., Ntim, C. & Broad, M.J. (2014) The Role and Effectiveness of Audit Committees in UK Higher Education Institutions. A Small Development Project funded by the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education. End of Project Report Sept 2014
- Manville, G., & Broad, M. J. (2013). Changing times for charities: performance management in a third sector housing association. Public Management Review, 1-20. DOI: 10.1080/14719037.2012.761722
- Senik, R., Broad, M., Mat, N., & Kadir, S. A. (2013). Information Technology (IT) knowledge and skills of accounting graduates: Does an expectation gap exist? Journal Pengurusan, 38, 87-100.
- Broad, M. J. & Senik, R. (2011). Information technology skills development for accounting graduates: intervening conditions. International Education Studies, 4(1).
- Broad, M., & Goddard, A. (2010). Internal performance management with UK higher education: an amorphous system? Measuring Business Excellence, 14(1), 60-66. DOI: 10.1108/13683041011027454
- Broad, M.J. & Javadi, S.M. (2009) Journal of Business and Economic Review. Institute of Mathematical Statistic, 1, (1), 29-39.
- Broad, M.J. & Senik, R. (2008) Understanding IT skills development in accounting degree programme: a core phenomenon. In, Selected Readings in Accounting. Selangor, Malaysia, Universiti Putra Malaysia Press.
- Broad, M.J., Senik, R. & Goddard, A.R. (2008) Perceived factors influencing information technology (IT) skills development in undergraduate accounting programme. International Journal of Economics & Management, 2, (2), 307-322.
- Broad, M.J., Goddard, A.R. & Von Alberti, L. (2007) Performance, strategy and accounting in local government and higher education. Public Money and Management, 27, (2), 119-126. (doi:10.1111/j.1467-9302.2007.00567.x)
- Goddard, A.R. & Broad, M.J. (2007) Performance, strategy and accounting in local government and higher education. ESRC End of Award Report
- Broad, M.J., Matthews, M. & McDonald, A. (2004) Accounting education through an online-supported virtual learning environment. Active Learning in Higher Education, 5, (2), 135-151. (doi:10.1177/1469787404043810)
- Broad, M.J., Matthews, M. & Shephard, K. (2003) Audit and control of the use of the internet for learning and teaching: issues for stakeholders in higher education. Managerial Auditing Journal, 18, (3), 244-253. (doi:10.1108/02686900310469907)
- Broad, M.J. & Crowther, D. (2001) Activity based costing in universities. An inappropriate technique? Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 6, (2), 55-89.
- Broad, M.J. (2017) Innovation, Leadership and Globalisation: Perspectives for Business Education. Keynote at the 4th International Conference on International Marketing (ICIM2017), Coimbatore, India 10th & 11th November 2017
- · Hoang, G.V., Broad, M.J., Li, P & Bui, H. (2017) Exploration of Factors Influencing Civil Servants’ Job Performance Culture in Vietnam. The Role of Public Governance in Achieving Sustainable Development Goals: Transforming, Empowering and Network-Building Conference, Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration, Seoul, Korea. 11-15 September 2017
- Broad, M.J. & Soobaroyen, T. (2016) Organiser and co-ordinator of Conference: A study of the governing boards in Vietnam Higher Education Institutions in DaNang, Vietnam November 2016.
- Broad, M. (2016) Performance measurement and management in higher education institutions: a review and considerations for effective management. ACU HRM Network Conference, Mauritius 16th 19th October 2016
- Soobaroyen, T. & Broad, M.J. (2016) Leadership at the top? The role of university governing board members. ACU HRM Network Conference, Mauritius 16th 19th October 2016
- Manville, G. & Broad, M.J. (2015). The Bedroom Tax, Benefit Reform and Localism: Leadership Challenges in Housing Associations in England Wales. European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management - Workshop on the challenges of managing the third sector - Edinburgh, 11-12th June 2015
- Soobaroyen, T., Broad, M.J. & Ntim, C. G. (2014). Annual report disclosures in UK universities: the influence of governing boards. Paper presented at 2014 EFMD Higher Education Research Conference.
- Soobaroyen, T., Ntim, C. G. & Broad, M.J. (2014). Exploring the role of audit committees in a non-profit setting: the case of UK higher education institutions. Birmingham Business School Research Seminar Series.
- Ntim, C. G., Soobaroyen, T., & Broad, M.J. (2014). Internal governance structures and voluntary public accountability disclosures by UK higher education institutions. Paper presented at 2014 EFMD Higher Education Conference, Sweden.
- Alimoradi Sharifabadi, A & Broad, M.J. (2014) Iran’s Higher Education: Developments in Performance Management. The British Accounting and Finance Association Accounting and Finance in Emerging Economies (AFEE) Special Interest Group, Bournemouth 18 Sept 2014
- Manville, G. & Broad, M.J. (2013) The bedroom tax, benefit reform and localism: leadership challenges for third sector housing associations. In, EIASM 9th Workshop on the Challenges of Managing the Third Sector, Lund, Sweden, 13 - 14 Jun 2013.
- Manville, G. & Broad, M.J (2013) A UK comparative study of performance management in private sector SMEs and third sector housing associations. In, EIASM 9th Workshop on the Challenges of Managing the Third Sector, 13 - 14 Jun 2013.
- Manville, G. & Broad, M.J. (2012) Servant leadership and the big society: performance management in third sector housing associations. In, Performance Management Associaton (PMA), From Strategy to Delivery, Cambridge, GB, 11 - 13 Jul 2012.
- Manville, Graham & Broad, Martin (2011) A comparative study performance management in the UK: a multiple case study of private sector and third sector performance management. In, 1st International Conference in Entrepreneurship, Innovation and SMEs,Ecole de Management de Normandie, Caen, FR, 03 - 04 Nov 2011.
- Broad, M.J. (2011) Performance Management in Universities: An ‘Old?’ Institutional Economics Perspective, Culture and Consequences, 6th Conference on Performance Measurement and Management Control. Nice, France 7-9 Sept 2011
- Broad, M.J. (2010) Performance Management in Universities: An ‘Old?’ Institutional Economics Perspective, Management Accounting Research Conference, Aston, UK, 18-19 Nov 2010
- Broad, M.J. & Senik, R. (2009) Information technology (IT) knowledge and skills of accounting graduates: does expectation gap exist? In, International Conference on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 2009 (ICTLHE2009), Kuala Lumpur, MY, 23 - 25 Nov 2009.
- Broad, M.J. & Javadi, S.M. (2009) Modelling a successful performance measurement system. In, British Academy of Management, Brighton, UK, 15 - 17 Sep 2009.
- Broad, M.J & Javadi, S. M (2009) Modelling a successful performance measurement system. In, First Conference On Executive MBA, Iran, May 2009. Centre for Executive MBA.
- Broad, M. J. & Goddard, A. (2009) Internal performance management within UK higher education; strategising and performancing. In, Performance Management Association Conference 2009 - Performance Measurement: Theory and Practice, Dunedin, New Zealand, 14 - 17 Apr 2009.
- Aseeri, A. & Broad, M. J. (2008) Enablers and limiters of measuring performance: a grounded theory study of Saudi universities. In, Management Accounting Research Group Conference, Aston, UK, 13 - 14 Nov 2008.
- Broad, M. & Jadsri, P. (2007) Accounting and performance management practices in Thai Universities. In, 4th Conference on Performance Measurement and Management Control, Measuring and Rewarding Performance, Nice, France, 26 - 28 Sep 2007.
- Aseeri, A. & Broad, M.J. (2007) The implementation of the balanced scorecard and its effectiveness on financial performance. In, Saudi International Innovation Conference (SIIC 2007), Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 12 May 2007.
- Goddard, A.R. & Broad, M.J. (2007) Performance, strategy and accounting in local government and higher education. In, 30th Annual Congress of the European Accounting Association, Lisbon, Portugal, 25 - 27 Apr 2007.
- Goddard, A.R., Broad, M.J. & Von Alberti, L. (2006) Performance strategy and accounting in local government and HE in the UK. In, 4th International Conference on Accounting, Auditing and Management in Public Sector Reforms, Siena, Italy, 07 - 09 Sep 2006.
- Broad, M.J. & Senik, R. (2005) Understanding the process of integrating IT skills in accounting programme. In, BAA Accounting Education SIG Annual Conference, Aberdeen, UK, 25 - 27 May 2005.
Chair of numerous Chartered ABS Events including ‘Focus on Vietnam’, ‘Focus on China’,Staff Directory