Dr Janice de Sousa is Dean of the Faculty of Education, Health and Social Care. She is Chair of the Senate Academic Standards Committee. Her specialist areas are Standards and Quality Assurance in Higher Education, academic conduct, and undergraduate and postgraduate education studies teaching.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA).
- Grimes, J. (1997), Swimming against the Tide: White Liberal Parents and Cultural Pluralism, IN, Cosin, B. and Hales, M. (eds) Family, Education and Social Differences, London: Routledge/Open University Press.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Tubbs, N. and Grimes, J. (2000), What is Education Studies?,
Educational Studies, Vol. 27 (1), pp. 3-15.
- Nath, S., Sylva, K. and Grimes, J. (2000), Raising basic education levels in rural Bangladesh: the impact of a non-formal education programme, International Review of Education, Vol. 45 (1), pp. 5-26.
- De Sousa, J. (2008), Education Studies in the Digital Age. Paper presented at British Education Studies Association Annual Conference, Liverpool Hope University.
- De Sousa, J. (2006), Developing Supplementary Resources for Teaching History to Non-Specialist Students. Paper presented at H.E.A Subject Centre for History, Classics and Archaeology Annual Conference, Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford.
- De Sousa, J. (2006), Mothers as Students. Paper presented at the Higher Education Academy Annual Conference, Heriot Watt University.
- De Sousa, J. (1999), Do Actions Speak Louder than Words? The Personal and Professional Qualities of Early Years Centre Words. Paper presented at the British Education Research Association, University of Brighton.
- De Sousa, J. (1997), Partnership with Parents: Does the ORIM Framework Help? Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, Chicago.
- Convenor: Inaugural Postgraduate Student Conference, British Educational Research Association Annual Conference, St. Anne’s College, University of Oxford (1994).
- De Sousa, J. (1993), Researching Cultural Capital: methodological issues. Paper presented at Department of Educational Studies Public Research Seminar, University of Oxford.
- De Sousa, J. (1992) Cultural Reproduction and the National Curriculum. Paper presented at Scottish Educational Research Association Annual Conference, University of Stirling.