Dr Mark de Valk received his PhD in Film Practice from Oxford Brookes University. Mark's experience in filmmaking production includes a strong background in social justice storytelling via documentary and experimental forms; he is a continuing indie-practitioner currently developing and working with 'essay film' and 'expanded cinema' techniques. His films have screened at a number of key international film festivals. Mark is also co-author of The Film Handbook, which examines and advocates how theory can be creatively employed to underpin and enrich personal film practice.
Areas of expertise
- Film Aesthetics
- Specialist Roles: Directing; Producing
- Research & Scriptwriting in Drama
- Documentary & Experimental forms.
- De Valk, M. (2016) Screening The Tortured Body: The Cinema as Scaffold. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- De Valk, M. & Arnold, S. (2013 ) The Film Handbook,. London: Routledge.