Jen Dickinson is a Senior Lecturer in Human Geography at the University of Winchester. She completed her PhD in 2008 at the University of Leeds, after which she held a number of teaching and research positions at the University of St. Andrews and the University of Leicester before joining the University of Winchester in Sept. 2016.
Areas of expertise
- Rwandan diaspora
- South Asian diasporas
- Diaspora and development
- Dickinson, J (2020) Visualising the foreign and the domestic in diaspora diplomacy: images and the online politics of recognition in #givingtoindia Cambridge Review of International Affairs
- Dickinson, J (2019) Post-colonial states, nation-building and the (un)making of diasporas. Pp. 260-268 in Routledge Handbook of Diaspora Studies, edited by R. Cohen and C. Fisher. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Dickinson, J. (2017) The political geographies of diaspora strategies: rethinking the ‘sending state’. Geography Compass 11 (2).
- Dickinson, J. (2016). Chronicling Kenyan Asian diasporic histories: ‘newcomers’, ‘established’ migrants, and the post-colonial practices of time-work. Population, Space and Place 22 (8): 736-49
- Andrucki, M., and Dickinson, J. (2015). Rethinking centers and margins in geography: Bodies, lifecourse and the performance of transnational space. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 105: 203-18
- Bhakta, A., Dickinson, J., Moore, K., Mylam, A and Upton, C. (2015). Negotiating the responsibilities of collaborative undergraduate fieldcourses. Area 47: 28288.
- Dickinson, J. (2015). Articulating an Indian Diaspora in South Africa: The Consulate General of India, diaspora associations and the practices of collaboration. Geoforum 61: 7989.
- Dickinson, J. (2015). Chronicling Kenyan Asian diasporic histories: ‘newcomers’, ‘established’ migrants, and the post-colonial practices of time-work Population, Space and Place [early view, doi: 10.1002/psp.1951]
- Dickinson, J. (2014). Making space for India in Post-Apartheid South Africa: Narrating diasporic subjectivities through classical song and dance. Emotion, Space and Society 13: 32-39
- Cameron, A., Dickinson, J., and Smith, N. (Eds) Body/State. London, Ashgate
- Dickinson, J., and Sothern, M (2013) The Gift of Life? In, Cameron, A., Dickinson, J., and Smith, N. (Eds) Body/State. Ashgate, pp. 51-66
- Dickinson, J. (2012). Decolonising the diaspora: neo-colonial performances of Indian history in East Africa. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 37 (4): 609623
- Sothern, M and Dickinson, J. (2011). Repaying the Gift of Life: self-help, organ transfer and the debt of care. Social and Cultural Geography 12 (8), 889-903
- Dickinson, J., et al. (2008). Introduction: Geographies of Everyday Citizenship ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies 7 (2), 100-12
- Dickinson, J., and Bailey, A.J (2007) (Re)membering diaspora: Uneven geographies of Indian dual citizenship. Political Geography 26 (7), 757-74