Alexis came to Winchester in 2014 having completed his PhD at Stirling University's Laboratory for Educational Theory. Prior to that, he studied for a BA in English and Modern Languages at Oxford University, and an MA in European Society at University College London. Between degrees, Alexis has taught English in Mexico, Mozambique and France.
Areas of expertise
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Gibbs, A. (2017), 'What Makes My Image of Him into an Image of Him?': Philosophers on Film and the Question of Educational Meaning. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 51: 267–280. doi:10.1111/1467-9752.12223
- Gibbs, A. (2016). "Academic freedom in international higher education: right or responsibility?" Ethics and Education 11(2): 175-185
Gibbs, A. (Forthcoming, 2018) Seeing Film as Education. Palgrave MacMillan.
- Gibbs, A. (2016) “’Not to explain, but to accept’: Wittgenstein and the pedagogic potential of film” in Peters, M. and Stickney, J. (eds.) A Companion to Wittgenstein on Education – Pedagogical Investigations
- Gibbs, A. (2017) ‘Iranian Cinema’s Re-education in Childhood’. Comparative and International Education Society Conference 2017. Atlanta, USA.
- Gibbs, A. (2016) 'Samira Makhmalbaf: schooling in, on, and with the screen'. Making School in the Age of the Screen. Liverpool Hope, Liverpool.
- Gibbs, A. (2015) Towards a Pedagogy of the Act: Rights, Responsibility and Answerability in Education. European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Budapest, Hungary
- Gibbs, A. (2015) "What makes my image of him into an image of him?": Philosophers on film and the question of meaning. Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain Conference, PESGB@50 Special Edition: 'Orientations Towards Wittgenstein'. Gregynog, Wales.
- Gibbs, A. (2015) 'Film as Education': The Pedagogical Potential of Cinematic Experience. 2nd International Conference on Critical Pedagogies and Philosophies of Education, Liverpool Hope University.
- Gibbs, A. (2012) Higher education development and academic freedom: unfolding from Lyotard's differend European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Cadiz, Spain.
- Gibbs, A. (2012) Bildung: crisis or limit in the language of higher education? Cultures, Academic Values and Education (CAVE) Research Centre. Dublin, Ireland.