Alan Grattan is Senior Lecturer in Criminology. He attended the University of Ulster where he gained a BSc in Sociology in 1984 and a PhD in Sociology in 1988. He also holds a Diploma in Youth and Community Work and an Advanced Diploma in Education from the same institution.
Before entering higher education, Dr Grattan was a community and youth worker in Belfast in both a voluntary and professional capacity. His work in segregated and divided communities during the Northern Ireland conflict stimulated his research interests in the area of criminology, especially in relation to young people, radicalisation, politicisation and violence, community conflict and segregation, peace and reconciliation. As such his research has taken him to divided societies and communities in countries in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, as well as Northern Ireland.
Before moving to the University of Winchester he was a lecturer and researcher at the University of Southampton and part of the Social Justice and Inclusion Research Group, where he is still an Associate Researcher.
He is co-convenor (with Brian Thornton) of the university's Crime & Justice Research Centre, which specialises in issues related to miscarriages of justice. The work of Dr Grattan has informed policy and practice around the interconnected theme of young people, radicalisation, alienation. His conference contributions and publications have led directly to his working with government agencies and NGOs, particularly in Northern Ireland. His work continues to inform the approach of these agencies in working with young people in the community who may be at risk of entering into radicalised and violent activities.
- Grattan, A. and McMullan, M. (2010) The Role of Youth Work in Supporting Inter-culturalism. Belfast: YANI/OFMDFM.
- Lindsey, I., Namukanga, A., Kakome, G. and Grattan, A. (2010) Adventures in Research: Community Impact Through Sport for Development Research. LSA 85, pp 56-61.
- Grattan, A., McMullan, M. and Zunich, M. (2009) Until Yesterday we Lived Together Do juce smo zivjeli zajedno. Youth and Community Development in Post Conflict Environments: Lessons from Northern Ireland and Bosnia. In: C. Howson and M. Sallah (Eds), Europes established and emerging immigrant communities: assimilation, multiculturalism or integration. (Staffs.,Trentham Books).
- Grattan, A. (2009) Segregated Britain: A Society in Conflict with its Radicalised Youth? Youth and Policy Vol.102.
- Grattan, A. and Morgan, S. (2008) Confronting Segregation: Lessons from Developmental Community Youth Work Practice in Conflict Societies. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, Vol. 3, No 7.
- Grattan, A. (2008) The Alienation and Radicalisation of Youth: A New Moral Panic? International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities & Nations, Vol. 8, No 3.
- Grattan, A. and Morgan, S. (2008) Organic Intellectuals as Catalysts of Change: Working with Young People in Conflict and Post Conflict Environments. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, Vol. 2 Issue 6.
- Grattan, A. (2007) Reflexive Modernisation, Existential Anxiety and Sense of Identity, International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities & Nations, Vol. 7, No 4.
- Grattan, A. & Morgan, S. ( 2007) Youth Work in Conflict Societies: From Divergence to Convergence. In: D. Magnuson and M. Baizerman (Eds), Work with youth in divided and contested societies (Rotterdam, Sense Publications, pp 165-75).
- Grattan, A. (2007) The Search for Identity in the Face of Diversity: The Case of the Protestant Loyalist Community of Northern Ireland. International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities & Nations, Vol. 6, No 4.
- McMullan, M. McShane, L. & Grattan, A. (2006) Its always in the back of my mind: Newry and Armagh Area-Based Strategy (Developing Children & Young People) Research Report. Belfast, Youth Action.
- An Occasional Youth Work Practice Paper 3, (2005) Involving Young People in Action Research, Youth Action Northern Ireland.
- Grattan, A. (2006) The Ethnic Conflict Research Digest, Vol. 6, No 1. In the Shadow of Just Wars: Violence, Politics and Humanitarian Action, Weissman, F.(Ed.) in collaboration with Medecins Sans Frontires, London, Hurst and Company.
- 2010 Formal and Informal Education in a Segregated Societies. 2nd Asian Conference on Education, Osaka, Japan.
- 2010 Education in a Segregated Society: A Case Study of the Loyalist Community of Northern Ireland. World Congress of Comparative Education Societies, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2010 Countering Radicalisation in Local Communities Ditchley Foundation, Oxford.
- 2009 Working with difference: towards cultural competence, cohesion and diversity. De Montfort University, Leicester, UK.
- 2008 Fourteen Years On: Challenges for South African Youth in Post Apartheid Society. Belfast, Northern Ireland. Hosted by Centre for the Study of Youth & Political Violence, The University of Tennessee.
- 2008 Confronting Segregation: Lessons from Developmental Community Youth Work Practice in Conflict Societies. 3rd International Conference on Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, Prato, Italy.
- 2008 The Alienation and Radicalisation of Youth: A New Moral Panic?
8th International Conference on Diversity, Montreal, Canada.
- 2007 Until Yesterday we Lived Together Do juce smo zivjeli zajedno. Youth and Community Development in Post Conflict Environments: Lessons from Northern Ireland and Bosnia. Europe and its Established & Emerging Immigrant Communities: Assimilation, Multiculturalism or Integration? International Conference, De Montfort University, UK.
- 2007 Reflexive Modernisation, Existential Anxiety and Sense of Identity, 7th International Conference on Diversity, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- 2007 Organic Intellectuals as Catalysts of Change: Working with Young People in Conflict and Post Conflict Environments, 2nd International Conference on Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, University of Granada, Spain.
- 2006 The Search for Identity in the Face of Diversity, 6th International Conference on Diversity, New Orleans, USA.
- 2005 Involving Young People in Action Research, Regional Practice and Policy Seminar Series, Armagh, Northern Ireland.
- 2004 The Nature of Contested Spaces: An International Perspective, Youth Work in Contested Spaces International Conference, Ballycastle, Northern Ireland (Workshop Facilitator).
- 2004 Professionalism and Youth Work in Contested Spaces, Youth Work
in Contested Spaces International Seminar, Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2003 Youth Work in Contested Spaces International Conference, Belfast, Northern Ireland, Workshop Facilitator.