I joined the University of Winchester as a Lecturer in Sociology in April 2017. After studying for a BA (Hons) in Sociology at the University of Derby and an MA in Research Methods at the University of Nottingham I started my PhD at the University of Leicester as a Graduate Teaching Assistant in 2011. After completing my PhD in 2015 I worked at the University of Bristol as a Teaching Associate in Sociology. My interests in feminism, activism and social justice are reflected in the modules I teach on social movements, race and ethnicity, fashion and consumption, and beauty and globalisation.
- Aune, K. and Holyoak, R. (Forthcoming 2018) Navigating the third wave: Contemporary UK feminist activists and third-wave feminism. Feminist Theory
- Why Women Will Save the Planet event, University of Bristol Friends of the Earth, April 2016
- This House Would Free the Nipple debate, University of Exeter Debating Society, February 2016
- Young Women and Politics public lecture, Leicester Secular Society, January 2016
Other conference presentations
- Knowing and Naming: Reflections on Activist and Academic Influences on Sexual Identity. Sexual Cultures 2: Academia meets Activism conference, University of Sunderland Docklands Campus, London, April 2015
- Inspiring and Sustaining One Another: The Influence of Non-hierarchical Relationships on Young Womens Politicisation and Activist Commitment. Rethinking Sisterhood: The Affective Politics of Womens Relationships, FWSA conference, University of Bristol, September 2014.
- The Role of Reciprocal Non-hierarchical Relationships in the Political Socialisation of Young Activist Women. Youth Activism and Resistance, BSA postgraduate conference, University of Leicester, June 2014.
- Finding Feminism in Non-Feminist Social Movements. The Lady Doth Protest Mapping Feminist Movements, Moments, and Mobilisations. Biennial FWSA conference, University of Nottingham, June 2013.
- Culture-Jamming, Crochet and Criminal Damage: Young Women Negotiating Femininity in Social Movement Activism. New Agendas on Youth and Young Adulthood: Youth Studies conference, University of Glasgow, April 2013.
- Eco-Warriors and Earth-Mothers: Young Womens Social Movement Activism in the UK.
Women in Political Activism seminar, Centre for Study of Women and Gender, University of Warwick, March 2013.
- Negotiating Feminisms and Femininities in Social Movement Activism. Theory, Action and Impact of Social Protest: an Interdisciplinary Conference, University of Kent, October 2012.
- The Political is Personal: Exploring Young Women's Gendered Experiences of Social Movement Activism. Movements, Networks, Protest: New Agendas for Society and Politics, King's College London European and International Studies Graduate Research Conference, Kings College London, June 2012.
- The Political is Personal: Exploring Young Women's Gendered Experiences of Social Movement Activism. Political and Civic Participation, 2nd PIDOP Conference, University of Surrey, April 2012.
- Mothers, Daughters, Sisters: The Influence of Generational Metaphors on Contemporary UK and US Feminism. Futures of Feminism, FWSA Conference 2011, Brunel University, July 2011.