Dr Karen Hunsdale BSc (Hons), MSc, MSc, MA, PGCE is Senior Lecturer in Applied Computing. Before joining the University of Winchester in 2016, Karen spent 15 months in Mauritius working on a new branch campus for Aberystwyth University, developing the computer science department. Prior to this, she worked in secondary and further education colleges in the subjects of Computing and Information Technology. This led to the completion of her MA in Education which focussed on the integration of learning-technologies into the classroom setting.
Karen has worked in bioanalytical analysis and pharmaceutical QA/QC assurance following completion of her BSc (Hons) degree in Chemistry. Karen became engaged with the use of technology and its application within science and it led to her diversion into computing and the completion of her MSc in 2006.
In 2011, Karen completed her PhD in Computing (Artificial Intelligence) developing conversational agents. Conversational agents enable natural language interaction with its user; however, they are typically scripted using pattern-matching algorithms. Karen's research involved the creation of a novel scripting language to ease the process of scripting such agents using semantic analysis and sentence similarity matching.
Karen has attended a range of conferences on intelligent agents and now looks forward to developing this research area further.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification
Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA)
Areas of expertise
- Artificial Intelligence
- Programming languages
- Teaching and learning technologies
- AI within teaching and learning – ethics and sustainability
- O’SHEA, K., BANDAR, Z., CROCKETT K. Towards a New Generation of Conversational
Agents using Sentence Similarity. Advances in Electrical Engineering and Computational Science, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Vol 39, Sio-Long Ao and Len Gelman, Ed. Netherlands: Springer, 2009, pp. 505-514
Refereed Journal Articles
- O’SHEA K., Natural language scripting within conversational agent design. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks and Complex Problem-Solving Technologies, Springer, 2013
- O’SHEA K., An Approach to Conversational Agent Design using Sentence Similarity Measures. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks and Complex Problem-Solving Technologies, Springer, 2012
- O’SHEA, K., BANDAR, Z., CROCKETT K. A Conversational Agent Framework using Semantic Analysis. International Journal of Intelligent Computing Research, Infonomics Society, Vol. 1, No.1, pp.23-32, 2011. ISSN: 2042 4655
- HUNSDALE, K., Alternative Approaches to the Teaching of Computer Science Education. IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies, Mauritius, August 2016
Refereed conference publications
- CHUCKRAVANEN, D., DAYKIN, J., HUNSDALE, K., and SEEAM, A., Temporal Patterns: Smart-Type Reasoning and Applications, Patterns 2017 Special, 9th Int. Conf. Pervasive Patterns and Applications, Athens, February, 2017
- O’SHEA, K., BANDAR Z., AND CROCKETT K. A Proposed Mechanism to Memory Simulation within a Semantic-Based Conversational Agent Framework. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Istanbul, October, 2010
- LATHAM, L., CROCKETT K., MCCLEAN, D., EDMONDS, B., and O’SHEA, K. OSCAR: An Intelligent Conversational Agent Tutor to Estimate Learning Styles. World Congress on Computational Intelligence, IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, Barcelona, July, 2010. ISBN: 978-1-4244-6917-8
- O’SHEA K., BANDAR Z., AND CROCKETT K. Application of a Semantic-Based Conversational Agent to Student Debt Management. World Congress on Computational Intelligence, IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, Barcelona, July, 2010, pp. 760 – 766. ISBN: 978-1-4244-6917-8
- O’SHEA, K., BANDAR, Z., CROCKETT K. A Semantic-Based Conversational Agent Framework. The 4th International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST-2009), Technical Co-Sponsored by IEEE UK/RI Communications Chapter, London, 9-12 November 2009, pp. 92-99
- O’SHEA K., BANDAR Z., AND CROCKETT K. A Novel Approach for Constructing Conversational Agents using Sentence Similarity Measures. World Congress on Engineering, International Conference on Data Mining and Knowledge Engineering, London, 2008, pp. 321-1149
- Special Sessions chair and presenter for Pattology: Patterns 2017. The Ninth International Conferences on Pervasive Patterns and Applications
CHUCKRAVANEN, D., DAYKIN, J., HUNSDALE, K., and SEEAM, A., Temporal Patterns: Smart-Type Reasoning and Applications, Patterns 2017 Special, 9th Int. Conf. Pervasive Patterns and Applications, Athens, February, 2017