Kate Iles lectures in Screenwriting and Drama Production at the University of Winchester and previously taught on the Film Production BAs at both Southampton Solent and Roehampton Universities. Prior to teaching she worked in the TV/Film industry for 20 years and ran an independent production company, Compulsive Viewing Ltd. There she co-produced the Lloyds Bank Channel Four Film Challenge, the pioneering scheme showcasing the work of new writers and directors, which ran between 1995 and 2000, as well as producing single documentaries and documentary series, also for Channel Four.
She worked as a script consultant for the UK Film Council until its demise in 2010 and continues to work on independent drama and documentary projects. She is a member of the London Screenwriters Research Network.
Areas of expertise
- Drama production
- Contemporary British Screenwriters
- 2014 Screenwriting and Authorship - essay about UK screenwriter Sarah Phelps for "Screenwriters and Screenwriting" ed Craig Batty
- 2013 The Last Taboo - 30 min documentary for Plan International about sanitation in Kenya
- 2011 Takeaway to China 10 min documentary about a UK/China educational exchange for The British Council
- 2009 Loving Hands 10 min documentary about community activist Sybil Phoenix for Lewisham Council
- 2002 Artists in Residence 2 x 30 min documentary about the Bloomsbury Artists for Channel 5
- 2000 Asylum 60 minute documentary for Channel 4's Cutting Edge series