I am Senior Lecturer in Psychology and Convenor of the Centre of Forensic and Investigative Psychology, launched on 11 October 2017. I hold a BSc (Hons) Psychology (1st class) from the University of Portsmouth, a BPS Certificate of Competence in Occupational Testing (Level A), a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice from the University of Southampton and a PhD in Experimental Psychology (ESRC-funded) from the University of Southampton.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA).
- Psychology, Crime and the Criminal Justice System (Module Leader and tutor)
- Eyewitness Psychology (module tutor)
MSc Forensic Psychology:
- Foundations of Forensic Psychology Practice (module tutor)
- Investigative Psychology (module tutor)
- The Criminal Justice System and legal Framework (Module leader and tutor)
- Hobbs, M., & Kneller, W. (2017). Distortion of prospective time produced underwater. Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance, 88, 677-681.
- Kneller, W. and Harvey, A. J. (2016) Lineup identification accuracy: The effects of alcohol, target presence, confidence ratings and response time. The European Journal of Psychology Applied to Legal Context 8 (1). pp. 11-18.
- Crossland, D., Kneller, W., & Wilcock, R. (2016). Intoxicated witnesses: testing the validity of the Alcohol Myopia Theory. Applied Cognitive Psychology 30 (2). pp. 270-281.
- Hobbs, M., Higham, P.A., & Kneller, W. (2014). Memory and metacognition in dangerous situations: investigating cognitive impairment from gas narcosis in undersea divers. Human Factors 56, 696-709.
- Kneller, W., & Hobbs, M. (2013). Inert gas narcosis and the encoding and retrieval of long term memory. Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine 84 (12), 1235-39.
- Harvey, A. J., Kneller, W., & Campbell, A. (2013). The elusive effects of alcohol intoxication on visual attention and eyewitness memory. Applied Cognitive Psychology 27 (5), 617-24. DOI:10.1002/acp.2940.
- Harvey, A,J., Kneller, W., & Campbell, A. (2013). The effects of alcohol intoxication on attention and memory for visual scenes. Memory, DOI:10.1080/09658211.2013.770033.
- Kneller, W., & Hobbs. M. (2013). The levels of processing effect under nitrogen narcosis. Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine 40(3), 239-45.
- Kneller, W., Higham, P., & Hobbs, M. (2012). Measuring manual dexterity and anxiety in divers using a novel task at 35 - 41m / 115 - 135ft. Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine 83, 54-57.
- Wilcock, R., & Kneller, W. (2011). A Comparison of presentation methods of video identification parades. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 25, 835-40.
- Hobbs, M. & Kneller, W. (2011). Anxiety and Psychomotor Performance in Divers on the Surface and Underwater at 40m (131ft). Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine, 82, 20-25.
- Hobbs, M. & Kneller, W. (2009). Effect of nitrogen narcosis on free recall and recognition memory in open water. Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine, 36(2), 73-81.
- Kneller, W., Memon, A., & Stevenage, S. (2001). Simultaneous and sequential lineups: Decision processes of accurate and inaccurate eyewitnesses. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 15, 659-71.
- Kneller, W., Memon, A., & Stevenage, S.V.(2000). Decision strategies of accurate and inaccurate witnesses. Proceedings of the British Psychological Society, 8, (2), 25.
- Vrij, A., Kneller, W., & Mann, S. (2000). The effect of informing liars about Criteria- Based Content Analysis on their ability to deceive CBCA-raters. Legal and Criminological Psychology 5, 57-70.
- Kneller, W., & Harvey, A. (2015). Postdicting identification accuracy of intoxicated witnesses. Association of Psychological Science Annual Convention. New York, June 2015.
- Kneller, W. & Wilcock , R. (2012). The Matrix Revisited: A comparison of video identification methods. Invited talk at London South Bank Universitys 'Methods for Eliciting Accurate Eyewitness Evidence' event. September 2012.
- Kneller, W., & Harvey. AJ. (June 2011). The effects of alcohol on eyewitness identification performance. SARMAC Biennial conference, New York.
- Kneller, W., & Harvey. AJ. (May 2011). Alcohol intoxication and its effects on eyewitness identification performance. BPS Annual Conference, Glasgow.
- Harvey, A., & Kneller. W. (Sept 2010). The effects of alcohol on visual attention and eyewitness memory. British Psychological Society's Annual Cognitive Conference, Cardiff, UK.
- Kneller, W., Harvey, A., & Hobbs, M. (June 2010). Alcohol intoxication and its effects on eyewitness identification performance. European Association of Psychology and Law Annual Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Kneller, W. & Hobbs, M. (February 2010). Effect of Nitrogen Narcosis on Free Recall and Recognition Memory in Open Water. University of Winchester Research and Knowledge Exchange Symposium, Winchester.
- Kneller, W. (January 2010). The two targets: The effect of perpetrator facial distinctiveness on eyewitness identification accuracy. International Academy for Investigative Psychology Annual Conference, London.
- Kneller, W. & Prichard, J. S. (September 2008). The effect of witness collaboration on line-up identification accuracy. British Psychological Cognitive Section XXV Annual Conference, Southampton.
- Kimber, A., Smith, W., & Kneller, W. (September 2004). Does a Second Modified Presentation affect Decisions within the Sequential Line-up? British Psychological Cognitive Section XXI Annual Conference, Leeds.
- Kneller, W. & Stevenage, S. (September 2001). Identifying Mr Typical: The effects of facial distinctiveness, line-up construction and presentation type on eyewitness accuracy. Poster presentation at ESCOP/BPS Cognitive Section Conference, Edinburgh.
- Kneller, W., & Stevenage, S. (June 2001). Line-up presentation and construction methods: Their effects on identification accuracy and decision-making strategies. Paper presented at 11th European Conference of Psychology and Law, Lisbon.
- Kneller, W., & Memon, A. (April 2000). Decision processes of accurate and inaccurate witnesses. Poster presented at BPS Annual Conference, Winchester.
- Kneller, W., & Memon, A. (March 2000). Decision processes of accurate and inaccurate witnesses. Paper presented at APLS conference, New Orleans.
- Kneller, W., & Vrij, A. (July 1999). The effect of informing liars about Criteria-Based Content Analysis. Paper presented at joint APLS/EAPL conference, Dublin.