David is a practicing artist working in the fields of Dance and Video art. He has worked for a number of the Uk’s leading choreographers including DV8 Physical Theatre, Richard Alston Dance Company, Siobhan Davies Dance and Random Dance Company. He has contributed to a wide range of practice based research projects leading to performance and screened outcomes shown in the UK and abroad. He has conducted research projects for METAL culture on collaborative approaches for artists and art forms, and presented his findings and outcomes to Arts Council England Annual Conference. He has created several investigatory video documentaries and online archives focused on creativity in education, including a film documentary looking into boys dance in the community for Trinity Laban, investigating current and future practice in the field. The project ran over three years and was funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation. The film was launched at the Knowledge East Creative Impacts Matrix conference 2008. He recently completed a Creativity in Education multimedia research Blog for Creative Partnerships– run alongside creative projects at Villiers High school to document and analyse creative practice in cross curricular approaches to teaching and learning. This project continued with a Digital Game Design project again exploring cross curricular approaches to learning through digital-online Alternative Reality Games.
He is currently Part of a CCE bid to study ‘the nature and effect of Creative Partnerships within classroom settings: an ethnographic approach’, with CREATE and Educational Futures Research Groups at Exeter University and in the Centre for Research in Education and Educational Technology at The Open University.
He is also part of an AHRC bid for a three year Enquiry-Focused Partnerships For Creativity project with Dance Partners for Creativity and Aspire at Exeter University. This project will be run in partnership with CapeUK and Daisi, and led by Professor Anna Craft and Dr Kerry Chappell.
David was the 2007/8 recipient of the Wallace Potts Bursary from the Nureyev Foundation in support of his work as a video and dance artist.
Areas of expertise
- Dance for the camera
- Dance technique
- Techniques of physical theatre
Recent Dance and Screen commissions
- Trinity Laban and Southbank, commission to create ‘performance Anxiety’ with students of the CAT programme. Screened at the Sound Moves Festival, Royal Festival Hall. 2010.
- Stan Won’t Dance dance Company, directed and produced video documentary of the youth dance programme accompanying their production of ‘Babel’ funded by Esmee Fairbarn and Arts Council England, 2010.
- Boy Blue Entertainment - video director for Olivier Award winning Pied Piper at Stratford Theatre Royal 2008, The Barbican and national tour, 2009. Re-created at The Barbican 2010.
- Yorke Dance project, Film to accompany ‘City Limitless’ shot on location in New York, San Francisco and LA. Touring 2010.
- York Dance Project, Video installation artist for tour of ‘Grace’. 2009
Pioneer, video Director for Alternative Reality Game ‘The White Island’. 2009.
- Collaboration with Catherine Seago to create DUOD, a dance and video work to be toured throughout 2009/10.
- Creative Partnerships, project leader and director for film project looking at emotional learning in primary education, West Twyford Primary School. 2009
- Jonzi D Productions residency at Great Ormond Street Hospital, Video workshops using VJ-ing as a chorographic tool for children . 2009.
- Directed and produced a documentary film for Ealing Borough Council’s Powerful Voices Conference with Dr . 2009.
- Video documentary for Magpie Dance Company’s inclusive summer choreographic intensive for people with learning disabilities at Siobhan Davies Studios. 2009.
- CapeUK and Creative Partnerships Leicester, Directed and Produced a video documentary of the Young Consultants Spotlight evaluation day. 2008.