I am Post-Doctoral Research Assistanton the Leverhulme-Trust-funded Pleistocene Archaeology, Geochronology and Environment of the Southern Caucasus (PAGES) Project. I completed my BSc in Environmental Science at the University of Birmingham in 2009, after which I went on to study at Royal Holloway, University of London, undertaking an MSc in Quaternary Science in 2010. Upon finishing my Master's programme, I was employed as a Research Assistant on the Leverhulme-funded Ancient Human Occupation of Britain (AHOB III) project at Royal Holloway, University of London in 2010-11. I went on to complete my AHRC-funded PhD titled ‘The palaeoenvironmental context of Lower Palaeolithic occupation in southern Britain during Marine Oxygen Isotope Stage 11’, also at Royal Holloway, University of London, from 2011 to 2015. In 2016 I joined the University of Winchester as PDRA for the PAGES project.
Areas of expertise
- Field mapping, surveying and sedimentology
- Quaternary sedimentology and stratigraphy
- Thin-section micromorphology
- Freshwater carbonate isotope geochemistry
- Candy, I., Schreve, D. C., Sherriff, J., Tye, G. J. 2014. Marine Isotope Stage 11: Palaeoclimates, palaeoenvironments and its role as an analogue for the current interglacial. Earth-Science Reviews, 128, 18-51.
- Tye, G. J., Sherriff, J., Candy, I, Coxon, P., Palmer, A. P., McClymont, E.L, Schreve, D.C. (In Press). The δ18O stratigraphy of the Hoxnian lacustrine sequence at Marks Tey, Essex, UK: implications for the climatic structure of MIS 11 in Britain. Journal of Quaternary Science
- Sherriff, J., Candy, I., White, T.S., Schreve, D. C., Palmer, A. P. (In preparation) Environmental controls of δ18O and δ13C values of modern freshwater gastropod carbonate; modern analogue study and the application to Quaternary sequences.
- Candy, I., Preece, R. C., White, T. S., Sherriff, J. 2014. The δ18O value of non-marine mollusc shells from Middle and Late Pleistocene terrace deposits of the River Thames. In: Bridgland, D. R., Allen, P., White, T. S (Eds) The Quaternary of the Lower Thames and eastern Essex: Field Guide. Quaternary Research Association, London.
- Sherriff, J., Tye, G. J., Palmer, A. P. 2014. Macroscale and microscale sedimentology of the Marks Tey sequence. In: Bridgland, D. R., Allen, P., White, T. S (Eds) The Quaternary of the Lower Thames and eastern Essex: Field Guide. Quaternary Research Association, London.