I am Professor of Cognitive Psychology. I joined Winchester as Reader in January 2013 and was promoted to Professor in 2016. I served as Head of Department from Jan. 2013 until Sept. 2016. I have specialist knowledge within the area of speech and hearing sciences in addition to practitioner skills as an HCPC-registered occupational psychologist (with specialisms in in training/development and human factors). I commenced my career in Australia, completing my first degree from University of Sydney, Australia, followed by a PhD at University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia in the field of auditory cognitive neuroscience. Post-doctorally, I have worked with Prof. Risto Naatanen at the University of Helsinki, then held Faculty posts at the University of Portsmouth and Brunel University as well as posts in the private sector.
I am Programme Leader for the new MSc in Occupational Psychology.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA).
Areas of expertise
- Auditory and speech perception
- Mobile learning
- The use of digital technologies
Selected publications (NB: some older publications appear under maiden name, Jaramillo)
- Ylinen, S., Karhila, S., Enarvi, S., Palomaki, S., Nikulin, A., Rantula, O., Viitanen,V., Dhinakaran, K. Smolander, A-S. Kallio, H., Uther, M., Junttila, K., Kurimo, M. SIAK – A Game for Foreign Language Pronunciation Learning. Proceedings of Interspeech 2017.
- Uther, M. & Banks, A. (2017) Perception of sound quality in mobile devices is affected by device type and usage context. British HCI Conference Proceedings, July, 2017.
- Giannakopoulou, A., Uther, M & Ylinen, S. (2016) Phonetic and orthographic cues are weighted in speech sound perception by second language speakers: Evidence from Greek speakers of English. Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, Vol. 20, 060011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/2.0000206
- Uther, M., & Banks, A. (2016) The influence of affordances on user preferences for multimedia language learning applications, Behaviour & Information Technology, 35:4, 277-289, DOI: 10.1080/0144929X.2016.1151077.
- Giannakopoulou, A., Uther, M. & Ylinen, S. (2013) Enhanced plasticity in spoken language acquisition for child learners: evidence from phonetic training studies in child and adult learners of English. Child Language Teaching and Therapy June 2013 vol. 29 no. 2 201-218
- Uther, M., Giannakopoulou, A. & Iverson, P. (2012) Hyperarticulation of vowels enhances phonetic change responses in both native and non-native speakers of English: evidence from an auditory event-related potential study. Brain Research, Aug 27; 1470: 52-8.
- Ylinen, S., Uther, M., Latvala, A., Vepasalainen, S., Iverson, P., Akahane-Yamada, R. & Naatanen, R. (2010) Training the brain to weight speech cues differently: a study of Finnish second-language users of English, Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1319-32.
- Joseph, S.R.H. & Uther, M. (2009) (invited for special issue) Mobile devices for language learning: multimedia approaches. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 4 (1), 1-26.
- Knoll, M., Uther, M. & Costall, A. (2009) Effects of low-pass filtering on the judgment of vocal affect in speech directed to infants, adults and foreigners. Speech Communication, 51 (3), 210-16.
- Uther, M., Knoll, M. & Burnham, D. (2007) Do you speak E-NG-L-I-SH? A comparison of foreigner- and infant-directed speech. Speech Communication, 49, 2–7.
- Uther, M., Kujala, A., Huotilainen, M., Shtyrov, Y. & Näätänen, R. (2006) Training in Morse code enhances involuntary attentional switching to acoustic frequency: evidence from ERPs. Brain Research, Vol. 1073-74, 417-24.
- Tervaniemi, M., Castaneda, A., Knoll, M. & Uther, M. (2006) Sound processing in amateur musicians and non-musicians: ERP and behavioral indices. NeuroReport, Vol 17, No. 11, 1225-28.
- Uther, M., Jansen, D.H.J., Huotilainen, M., Ilmoniemi, R.J. & Naatanen, R. (2003) Mismatch negativity indexes auditory temporal resolution: evidence from event-related potential (ERP) and event-related field (ERF) recordings. Cognitive Brain Research,17, 685-91.
- Kujala, A., Huotilainen, M., Uther, M., Shtyrov, Y., Monto S., Ilmoniemi,R.J. & Naatanen, R. (2003) Plastic Cortical Changes Underlying Learning to Communicate with Non-speech Sounds: Evidence from Morse Code Acquisition. NeuroReport, 14 (13), 1683-87.
- Jaramillo, M., Ilvonen, T., Kujala, T., Alku, P. Tervaniemi, M., & Alho, K. (2001) Are different kinds of acoustic features processed differently for speech and non-speech sounds. Cognitive Brain Research, 12, 459-66.
- Jaramillo, M., Alku, P., & Paavilainen, P. (1999) An event-related potential (ERP) study of duration changes in speech and non-speech sounds. NeuroReport, 10, 3301-05.
- Paavilainen P., Jaramillo, M. & Naatanen, R. (1998) Binaural information can converge in abstract memory traces, Psychophysiology, 35, 483-87.
- Winkler, I., Czigler, I., Jaramillo, M., Paavilainen, P., & Naatanen, R. (1998) Temporal constraints of auditory event synthesis: evidence from ERPs. NeuroReport, 9, 495-99.