I am Associate Lecturer in Medieval History. I completed my PhD at the University of Winchester in 2010 on the subject of ‘Cage chantries and their role in late medieval religion, c. 1366 to 1555’. This comprised an investigation of 54 cage chantries, located in many of the major churches and cathedrals in England, in terms of both their physical and documentary evidence. This included a considerable number of monastic chantries. My MA dissertation, also completed at Winchester (2004), looked at the chantries of St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle.
My research is in religion in the late medieval period, intercession, churches and the late medieval royal family. Having studied both history and archaeology both as an undergraduate and in postgraduate studies, physical evidence is as important to me as documentary evidence in all my research. I am currently editing my PhD thesis for publication. I teach both subject-specific and general modules.
Areas of expertise
Medieval cage chantries
- Studying Late Medieval History: A Thematic Approach. Routledge, 2016.
- ‘The Passhe/Plummer Chantry in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle’, Annual Report of the Society of the Friends of St George’s and Descendants of the Knights of the Garter, Vol.VIII, No 4, 2003, pp 178-83.
- ‘The Chantries and Chantry Chapels of St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle’, Southern History 31 (2009), pp 48-74.
- ‘The Cage Chantries of Christchurch Priory’, Memory and Commemoration in Medieval England, Proceedings of the 2008 Harlaxton Symposium, eds C. M. Barron & C. Burgess (Donington, 2010), pp 234-51.
- Saving the souls of medieval London. Perpetual Chantries at St Paul’s Cathedral, c. 1200 - 1548, M.-H. Rousseau (London, 2011) in Institute of Historical Research online reviews (forthcoming 2011).
- St George’s Chapel, Windsor, in the Fourteenth Century, N. Saul [ed.] )Woodbridge, 2005) & The Royal funerals of the House of York at Windsor, A.F. Sutton, L. Visser-Fuchs & R.A. Griffiths (London, 2005) in Journal of Southern History, 27 (2005), pp 140-41.
- ‘Chantry Chapels and Medieval Religion in New Sarum’, Sarum College, Salisbury Summer School, July 2007.
- ‘The Chantries and Chantry Chapels of St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle’, Fifteenth Century conference, Merton Collage Oxford, September 2007.
- ‘Monastic Cage Chantries of Winchester Cathedral’, Monasticism Study Day, Southampton University, January 2008.
- ‘The Cage Chantries of Christchurch Priory, Harlaxton Symposium, July 2008.
- ‘The Cage Chantries of Winchester Cathedral’, Late Medieval Seminar at the Institute of Historical Research, London, November 2008.
- ‘The Cage Chantries of Winchester Cathedral’, Winchester Catholic Group, June 2008.
- ‘The Cage Chantries of Salisbury Cathedral’, Canons, Clergy and Churchmen, 2009 Conference of the Monumental Brass Society, September 2009.
- ‘The Chantry of Cardinal Beaufort’, Cardinal Beaufort conference held by Wessex Centre for History and Archaeology, September 2009.
- Lower Test Valley Historical Society – various talks on the chantries of different local churches 2007 - 2011.