We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and improve sustainability across our campus.View content
Travel and transport
The University is keen to support all students, staff and visitors to travel sustainably and offers a number of green transport initiatives and discounts on public transport and with local suppliers. The University’s Travel Plan was published in 2016 and sets out our commitment to reducing single occupancy car use and encouraging a modal shift.
There are cycle storage and shower facilities located across the University's three campuses. We host a monthly Bike Doctor outside the King Alfred Centre, in partnership with Bespoke Biking, where students and staff can bring their bikes for free maintenance checks and minor repairs carried out by qualified mechanics.
Students and staff are also entitled to a 10% discount on cycles and accessories at both Hargroves Cycles and Peter Hansford Cycles in Winchester on presentation of a University ID card.
The University's Cycle to Work scheme enables staff to save at least 30% on the cost of acquiring a bike and safety cycling equipment, up to a maximum of £1000. This means you can access great savings with numerous suppliers, including online.
Winchester has excellent rail links and the railway station is only 10 minutes walk from the University.
For students, the University sells rail season tickets, which could help you save up to 30% on regular train travel to Winchester from your starting station each semester. The ticket can be used for unlimited journeys peak and off-peak between the starting station and Winchester, including at evenings and weekends. You can also break or start your journey at any station on the line between the starting station and Winchester.
One season ticket per semester.
A 16-25 Railcard saves a 1/3 on Standard Anytime, Off-Peak, Standard Advanced and First Class Advanced fares. You can use the 16-25 Railcard at any time of day but a minimum £12 fare applies on all journeys made between 4.30am and 10am Monday to Friday. The 16-25 Railcard is valid for anyone aged 16-25, or over 25 and in full-time study. It costs £30 for a whole year and can be purchased online or over the counter at all staffed National Rail stations. If over 25, you will need to have your application form completed by your University tutor or faculty administrator.
The University is a member of easitHAMPSHIRE and all staff are eligible for an easit discount card, enabling them to take advantage of numerous transport discounts, including 15% off all South Western Railway journeys into Winchester (valid on peak and off peak, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, 6-monthly and annual season tickets).
For further details please contact our environment team.
Park and Ride
Winchester has four Park and Ride sites and the University is well-served by the service. The nearest Park and Ride bus stop is outside the Royal County Hospital on Romsey Road, less than a five minute walk from both King Alfred and West Downs Quarters. All buses on the service stop here.
Students and staff can save 85% on the service and travel for around £40-60 per year (just 50p per day) by purchasing a Park & Ride Smart Card from the University's online store using their University email address. Each Smart Card costs £10 and comes pre-loaded with 20 return journeys - covering both parking and bus travel. The Smart Card can be used on any day and does not have to be for 20 days of consecutive travel.
- Travel to the University on the P&R bus three days a week, each semester, requires four Smart Cards, costing a total of £40 for the year.
- Travel to the University on the P&R bus five days a week, each semester, requires six Smart Cards, costing a total of £60 for the year.
The Bluestar 1 service runs between Southampton - Chandlers Ford - Winchester every 15 minutes. Staff and students are eligible for a 20% discount on Bluestar bus 30-day and 90-day network tickets, covering all Bluestar services across Hampshire and Dorset, including the Bluestar 1 to Winchester and the Unilink bus service in Southampton.
- 30 day network ticket: regular price £94 - save £18.80 - UoW price £75.20
- 60 day network ticket: regular price £215 - save £43 - UoW price £172
If you're a student, the Stagecoach Unirider allows you to travel on any Stagecoach bus across Zone 1 (Winchester only) or Zone 2 (Winchester, Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex) all day, 7 days a week. Unirider tickets can be purchased from the Stagecoach website using a University email address.
The Stagecoach Megarider ticket provides unlimited travel for staff on Stagecoach buses in and around Winchester. In addition to standard-price weekly and monthly tickets, staff can save 10% on the cost of 13-week or annual Winchester Megarider (main city area) or Megarider Gold (covering Hampshire inc. Romsey, Alton Andover etc) tickets. For more information email email@example.com.
Staff can save up to 20% on monthly bus tickets, covering all First Hampshire bus services in the county.
The University has its own car share scheme and staff and student commuters can join forces to car share and save money on their journey to work. Register on the car share database and find potential matches at. It's free to join and requires your University email address.
Car share permits cost £48 for the year. Dedicated car share bays are located in St James, the Dytche and University of Winchester Business School car parks and are reserved for car share permit holders until 10.30am each day. Car share to the Park & Ride and up to six passengers can travel on each daily P&R ticket.
The University has both rapid and all-day charging points for electric vehicles installed at the West Downs Quarter. The two fast charging points are for University staff and students with electric vehicles and can be used for charging and for those vehicles to park. The rapid charge point is for both public and University users for 30 minute charging or as a drop off bay (maximum waiting time 20 minutes).
Green Transport Loan
Staff are able to apply for an interest-free green travel loan of up to £3,000 a year for the purchase of:
- A bicycle and safety accessories. (cannot be combined with the Salary Sacrifice Scheme)
- A moped or scooter (excluding motorcycle) up to 1250cc
- A season rail ticket (This can be combined with the EASIT discount of 15% off train travel
- A season ticket on Stagecoach bus services
Winchester Car Club
The University hosts one of the city’s Enterprise Car Club self-service vehicles on campus. The vehicle, a Renault Clio, is parked in a dedicated bay at Medecroft Quarter and is available to students, staff and members of the public. It can be hired by the hour or day, reserved in advance or at a moment’s notice.
Students and staff can sign up to the Car Club at a discounted rate and receive 2 hours of free driving credit through the University intranet. Departments and faculties can also use the car club vehicle for business travel when convenient, alongside the University's fleet cars.
Our green awards...
- Green Impact Gold Award – Winchester City Council scheme 2018
- National Recycling Awards 2018. Winner of Campaign of the Year – Public/Third Sector. The University of Winchester - ‘Chew fancy a brew?’ - A coffee cup campaign
- Awards for Excellent in Waste Management 2018. Winner of Waste Management Initiative In The Retail, Commercial And Public Sector. ‘Chew Fancy a Brew?’ The University of Winchester’s Coffee Cup Initiative
- Shortlisted for the Reduce, Reuse Recycle award at the Sustainable Restaurant Association’s ‘Food Made Good’ Awards 2018
- Green Gown Awards 2017 – Winner of the Food & Drink category for our reusable coffee cup initiative.
- Social Enterprise Gold Mark 2017
- British Quality Foundation Sustainable Future Award 2016
- Green Impact National Award for Innovation and Engagement (Marshall Rose Library) 2016
- Winchester Carbon Smart Gold 2015
- Sustainable Development Policy
- Environment Strategy
- Carbon Reduction Strategy 2015-30
- Carbon Management Implementation Plan 2015-30
- Biodiversity Action Plan
- Ethical Catering Policy
- Climate Change Education Strategy
- Ethical Investment Policy
- Waste Management Policy
- Sustainability Statement
- Carbon Management Plan Annual Monitoring Report 2015/16