We have stunning living options for you to choose from – ranked 15th out of 116 universities by the Times Higher Education.

View content

Housing Frequently Asked Questions

There are a lot of things to consider before you make your application and before you move to Winchester. Hopefully the FAQs below should answer most of your questions. If you have a question we don’t answer here, contact housing@winchester.ac.uk and we will be happy to help. 


Am I eligible to apply for accommodation?

To apply for housing you will need to have accepted your University offer by going firm with us.

Once you’ve gone firm, if you will be a full-time first-year student you are eligible to apply for housing. See more information about our housing guarantee to check if it applies to you.

You are not able to apply for accommodation if Winchester is currently your insurance choice. Around results day we will update our information if accommodation is still available for you to apply for.

Foundation Year full-time students

Housing is available for students in their Foundation Year and usually available in the subsequent 1st year of their undergraduate study, provided they are enrolled as full-time students. You would need to re-apply for Housing for the subsequent 1st year.

Postgraduate full-time students

We accept applications for housing from full-time, fee-paying postgraduate students. Please do be aware that we have limited availability for Postgraduate students. Please see our guarantee for more information.

Families and couples

We do have a few self-contained flats for students with families or in a couple. You can apply for these using the normal housing application portal [link]. We will normally allocate self-contained flats to families first and then couples. We do apply a level of needs-based assessment to applications to self-contained flats.

I have a disability. What is on offer for me?

We have a selection of residences with accessible rooms as well as adapted rooms. These may include features such as:

  • Wheelchair access
  • Automatic doors throughout the flat/house
  • Hoists
  • Height Adjustable equipment
  • Deaf Alerters
  • Small fridge for the storage of medicines
  • Sharps box

We endeavour to make reasonable adjustments for students who require extra support within their accommodation either due to a disability, long term medical condition or sensory/physical impairment. This may include making a required adaptation to a room or allocating to a particular location to help them be involved fully in University life and the student experience.

You are strongly advised to contact the Disabilities and Learning Diversity Team at the University on disability@winchester.ac.uk as well as our Housing team on housing@winchester.ac.uk so we can best assist you.

How do I apply?

Please see the Apply for Housing page for more details of the processRemember you will only be able to apply for housing once you have accepted Winchester as your firm choice.  

Can I see the accommodation?

The easiest way to see our different housing options is with our videos and on the online Virtual Tour. 

Subject to current Covid-19 guidance, we also aim to give you the opportunity to see inside rooms as part of our on campus Open Days. Check out the Open Days listings for more information.  

Can I bring my car, motorcycle or bicycle?

If you are living in on campus University-managed housing on campus you are not permitted to park your car or motorcycle on campus at any time.

There are bicycle storage areas by each Halls.

Many of our off campus properties will have access to off campus parking, whether that’s a driveway, garage, on road (no permit required), on road (permit required). However, students will not be able to bring their car to park on campus, unless you meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the Parking Regulations. You can access the Parking Regulations on the Intranet once you have enrolled.

The University offers a significantly discounted rate for the Park and Ride scheme, which is the cheapest option if you are looking to bring your car to Winchester. There are four Park & Ride sites in Winchester; the nearest bus stop is outside the Royal Hampshire County Hospital on Romsey Road, less than a five minute walk from both the King Alfred and West Downs Quarters.

Students are encouraged to use public transport whenever possible, and the University also offers a wide range of discounts on local public transport options as well as Park and Ride..

If you are unsure about the best way to get to the University or have enquiries about travel by public transport please email environment@winchester.ac.uk. Questions regarding parking can be directed to the Parking Office.

Can I live in University-managed housing during the summer

Subject to any Covid-19 restriction, we are usually able to provide housing options over the summer. We do not have full use of the housing during this time and so students will usually be required to move at the end of their current licence period. Information about this is usually available in April from Student Housing Services. 

How do I pay for my housing?

You can pay the residence fees all in one go and receive a discount off the total or set up a Recurring Card Payment to pay in three instalments which are in line with your loan payments. See our costs section about pricing and payment.

What do I need to bring?

All on-campus study-bedrooms are furnished with a:

  • Bed
  • Chair
  • Desk
  • Wardrobe
  • Bookshelf space
  • Noticeboard.
  • Sink unit.

En-Suite study rooms have their own WC, shower and sink unit.

Self-catered kitchens are fitted with:

  • Electric cooker
  • Microwave
  • Fridge freezer
  • Kettle.

Catered accommodation includes use of a small kitchenette with:

  • Microwave
  • Fridge
  • Kettle

You need to provide your own:

  • Bedding including sheets, pillows, pillowcases and duvet, duvet cover or blankets
  • Crockery, including cups, plates, dishes.
  • Cutlery, including forks, knives and spoons
  • Pots and pans must be suitable for electric hob use (if in self-catered accommodation)
  • Tea towels
  • Coat hangers.

Off campus properties have similar provisions, but they can vary between properties. All bedrooms will have either a single or double bed, wardrobe space, shelving and/or drawers, desk and chair as minimum.

Kitchens will be fitted with an oven, fridge, freezer and microwave as standard. Most will also have a kettle and toaster already in situ.

Bedding and Kitchen packs can be ordered when you make your application – details of what is included and the cost will be indicated before you make your order.

How are the rooms allocated?

The allocation of rooms is undertaken on a first applied first allocated basis in date order from when the application was received. We do aim to allocate students into one of their 6 preferences. However, the later you apply the less likely this will be. If we are not able to offer you one of your preferences, we will offer you the next alternative room.

Please read through Housing Allocation Policy 2021.


When will I hear what room I have?

We start sending room allocations out, by email, between results day and the start of semester. You will need to make sure you have your login details from when you created your account to apply. You will need to make sure you accept your licence agreement within three days of receiving your offer.

We tend to send our offers out in batches; this is to give our team a chance to respond to any queries received before sending the next batch out.

Please don’t worry if you see that someone else has received their offer and you have not, it will arrive!

Can I change my allocation?

We are not able to make any adjustments to allocations before you arrive as we anticipate that all our rooms will be full. If you would like to find out more about the accommodation you have been offered, please do get in contact with us. We know that some students may receive an offer for a room type that they were not expecting or that was not their top choice and we encourage students to wait till they get here and settle in. Many students change their mind once they are here! 

When do I move into my accommodation?

Subject to any changes in line with Covid-19 guidance, arrivals to accommodation should start from Saturday 11 September 2021. At this time, we are not able to confirm the duration of the Arrival period, however we will communicate this to students.

Are my contents insured?

We have partnered with student insurance provider Endsleigh to provide some cover for the contents in your room if you live in University Managed Accommodation (either on or off campus*).

You don’t need to do anything to action this cover, but we encourage you to ensure you fully understand the protection provided and check it is sufficient for your needs.

Visit Check Your Cover to:

  • Check your level of cover
  • Review key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Learn how to make a claim
  • Extend and personalise your cover to protect laptops, phones and other valuables

*If you live in Riverside Way or Cathedral Point, you have a separate cover agreement with Endsleigh. Use the same link above to search for Riverside Way/Cathedral Point.

Your Accommodation includes...

  • unlimited, free WIFI
  • all bills covered 
  • 24 hour security
  • cleaning service for communal areas
  • bedroom furniture
  • en-suites in most rooms
  • bike lockers for hire
  • contents insurance
  • short walk to campus
  • close to city centre, shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants...
  • train station and bus stops nearby


+44 (0)1962 827533

The Student Accommodation Code Logo