10 top tips for surviving Clearing
With results day just around the corner, you might be anxiously waiting to find out if you've achieved the grades you need to secure your place at your favourite university studying your dream course. You might also be wondering what happens if you open your results and they're not quite what you were expecting. But, fear not!
Here are our top tips on how to survive Clearing:
1. Keep breathing and try not to panic (note: this is crucial)
2. Let yourself react. It's fine to cry, or laugh, or scream, jump up and down…
3. Call the university that you wanted to go to. Real people work at universities who are understanding, flexible and might still consider your application.
4. Research some of the other universities you thought about at the time of your application and even have a look at some new ones! It's important not to make any rash decisions at this stage and panic pick a university without having thoroughly considered where you could be spending the next three or four years of your life.
5. Think about the course, the campus, the city where you might like to be – lots of things go into your university experience. Think about what you liked about your top choice universities and keep this in mind when looking for a place through Clearing.
6. Remember, you are not alone. There's a reason why a whole room full of friendly people are there to answer the university phones – students are calling!
7. Sometimes it helps to be a little flexible. Maybe you didn't quite make the place on the Business Management course, but perhaps your university can offer you a place on the Business Management and Law course. Maybe you didn't even know you could do Business Management and Law, but hey, Clearing could open up a whole new opportunity for you to really pick a course that is right for you.
8. Once you've narrowed down some universities you might like to study at, it's time to call them up! You can find out what you'll need to have ready before you call on our Clearing page. Remember, there is no such thing as a silly question!
9. Try to make notes when you're on the phone and write down any important information about the university or course so you don't get places muddled up later on. Having this information on hand will help you to make a clear decision when you are ready to secure your place.
10. Go along to a Clearing Advice Day if you can to learn more about the course, the university and the vibe of the town. It can be stressful looking for a university during Clearing, but it can also be a great opportunity to consider new courses or places.
Whatever your path… you'll hopefully be off to university soon!
Now it's time to make sure your accommodation, finances and pictures of your dog to bring with you are all sorted out before you start. Get ready for the best time of your life as a university student!
You can get in touch with someone on our friendly Clearing Advice helpline on (+44) 0 1962 827 234 Monday to Friday 9am-5pm until 15 August. On Thursday 16 and Friday 17 August our helpline will be open from 8am - midnight and Saturday 18 to Tuesday 21 August from 9am-5pmBack to blog