An Englishness Open To All?
Friday 31 March
10.00am - 5.00pm
The Paul Woodhouse Suite, Winchester Cathedral, 9 The Close, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 9LS
Please note that this event is now sold out.
While increasing numbers of people are emphasising the English aspect of their identity, Englishness can take different forms. For some it may be an ethnic identity; for others a more inclusive, civic, identity. Class, place and faith may also shape what we mean by 'English'.
This important seminar will explore barriers to and opportunities for an inclusive Englishness that is equally accessible to all parts of England and its diverse population.
Speakers will include:
- Sunder Katwala, British Future
- Richard Webber, University of Newcastle
- Liam Byrne, Labour MP
- Dr Debra Grey, University of Winchester
- Dr Charles Leddy-Owen, Portsmouth University
- Dr Ariana Giovannini, De Montfort University
- David Goodhart, Policy Exchange
- Dr Nasar Meer, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
- Dr Maria Sobolewska, University of Manchester
- Prof Tariq Modood, University of Bristol
A seminar hosted by the Centre for English Identity and Politics. For more information about the Centre, click hereBack to events