Institute of Policing
Working to meet the professional requirements of 21st-century policing.View content
The Institute of Policing is working in collaboration with policing and criminal justice partners to meet the professional requirements of 21st-century policing and to develop high-quality, evidence-based education within the police service. The IoP is designed to facilitate undergraduate studies for police officers enrolled in the Pre-Join Degree in Professional Policing; for students contemplating a career in policing or anyone wishing to study policing, criminology or forensic science at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
Courses under development
The IoP is also developing the following courses:
- The Pre-Join degree in Professional Policing (Sept 2019)
- A Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship (Expected in 2020)
Each of these programmes will be subject to validation and approval by the College of Policing.
Recognition of Prior Learning & Experience (RPL)
If you are making enquiries about courses through the Recognition of Prior Learning & Experience (RPL) Directory, the following undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses will be available to you:
The Institute of Policing will also coordinate the following functions:
- Ongoing collaboration with regional forces around PEQF requirements, delivery of training, sharing of resources around curriculum needs and collaboration with regional PCCs.
- Provision of conferences, training workshops, seminars and symposia around regional needs, developments and initiatives, to strengthen collaboration between police forces and Higher Education.
- Institute of Policing Research & Innovation Library for all EBP dissertation projects produced by students on undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
- Development of a Special Constabulary recruitment option for students on the Pre-Join degree in Professional Policing (in order to enhance their operational competencies during their studies, before commencing full-time employment with a police force).
Johannes P. Oosthuizen, Director