Institute of Policing
Working to meet the professional requirements of 21st-century policing.View content
The Institute of Policing is working in collaboration with policing and criminal justice partners to meet the professional requirements of 21st-century policing and to develop high-quality, evidence-based education within the police service. The IoP is designed to facilitate undergraduate studies for police officers enrolled in the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA), for students contemplating a career in policing or anyone wishing to study policing, criminology or forensic science at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship
The Institute of Policing is currently in pre-procurement talks with several regional police forces in the South East and South West of England; the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA) will be the central focus of these collaborative talks and will accept its first police students in September 2018. This programme will seek approval/accreditation from the College of Policing after validation; further information forthcoming.
Courses under development
The IoP is also developing the following courses:
- A programme for graduate entry to the policing profession.
- A pre-join undergraduate degree in policing
- Senior Leader Masters’s Degree Apprenticeship
Recognition of Prior Learning & Experience (RPL)
If you are making enquiries about courses through the Recognition of Prior Learning & Experience (RPL) Directory, the following undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses will be available to you:
The Institute of Policing will also coordinate the following functions:
- Research & Innovation Committee. Membership developed by Hampshire Police, and in collaboration with regional universities (feeding into the College of Policing Research & Innovation Knowledge Bank)
- Ongoing collaboration with regional forces around PEQF requirements, delivery of training, sharing of resources around curriculum needs and collaboration with regional PCCs.
- Provision of conferences, training workshops, seminars and symposia around regional needs, developments and initiatives, to strengthen collaboration between police forces and Higher Education.
- Institute of Policing Research & Innovation Library for all EBP dissertation projects produced by students on undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.