Cassie Shaw is the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Officer at the University of Winchester. For this role she has a particular focus on assessment and feedback practices, which includes exploring the use of programmatic assessment, and conducting enquiries into flipped learning and learning gain. Prior to this she has the Research Officer (Student Engagement) where she was responsible for the coordination of the Student Fellows Scheme and editing the undergraduate journal Alfred. Until October 2017, she was a researcher on the HEFCE-funded REACT project, which supported the collaborative development of Student Engagement practices across the UK (www.studentengagement.ac.uk). She was commissioned by the REACT project to undertake the systematic literature review of ‘hard to reach’ students in Higher Education. In 2017, Cassie finished her PGCert in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education and received her accreditation as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Prior to joining LTD, Cassie worked as the Student Engagement Assistant at Winchester Student Union in a role that saw Cassie coordinating the annual Student-Led Teaching Awards and engaging Student Academic Representatives from across the institution. She is currently undertaking her PhD exploring the relationship between historical context, existential philosophy and the production of English Literature.
- Shaw, C., Humphrey, O., Atvars, T., Sims, S. (2017) 'Who They Are and How to Engage Them: A Summary of the REACT Systematic Literature Review of the 'Hard to Reach' in Higher Education.' Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change, 5. ISSN 2055-4990
- Shaw, C., Sims, S., (2017) 'Using a Partnership Approach through Student Fellows Projects as an intervention to Assessment and Feedback.' Capture: Learning and Teaching Journal, 5.
- Lowe, T., Shaw, C., Sims, S., King, S., and Paddison, A. (2017) 'The Development of Contemporary Student Engagement Practices at the University of Winchester & Winchester Student Union.' International Journal for Students as Partners, 1 (1). ISSN 2560-7367
- Shaw, C., and Lowe, T. (2017) 'The Student Participation Map: A tool to map student participations, engagements, opportunities and extra-curricular activities across a Higher Education Institution.' Dialogue: Journal of Learning and Teaching, 1. pp. 45-50. ISSN 23399-701X
- C, Shaw., O, Humphrey., T, Atvars., S, Sims. (2017) Systematic Literature Review of 'Hard to Reach' Students and Methods of Inclusive Engagement. A report to HEFCE by the REACT Project. (In Press).
- Shaw, C., Humphrey, O. The REACT Systematic Literature Review: Descriptions of and Methods to Engage 'Hard to Reach' Students. RAISE Conference (Manchester, 8th September 2017).
- Shaw, C., Lowe, T. What do Students Think is Good Feedback? An Analysis of the SLTA data 2013-16 to investigate student perceptions of the "best" assessment feedback. Learning and Teaching Day (Winchester, 8th June 2017).
- Shaw, C., Street, R. Student Engagement Mapping Workshop. Newman University Development Day (Birmingham, 5th May 2017).
- Dunne, E., Lowe, T. Shaw, C., Realising Engagement through Active Culture Transformation: An Introduction. REACT Conference (Winchester, 2nd May 2017).
- Dunne, E., Shaw, C., Lowe, T. & Sims, S. Empowering Students as Agents of Change through Partnership – Case Studies of Practice from the Universities of Exeter and Winchester – Beyond the Comfort Zone. Putting Civic Leadership at the Heart of the University Experience (London, 22nd September 2016).
- Dunne, E., Lowe, T., Sims, S., Harvey, F., Bryson, C., Mooney, P., Irwin, J., Wren, B., Harris, D., Beniston, J., Lebihan, J., Marie, J., Walker, S., Shaw, C., Reaching out to the 'hard-to-reach': Experiences from nine Universities Involved in the REACT 'Collaborative Development Programme'. RAISE 2016 Conference – 'Excellence' in Student Engagement (Loughborough, 9th September 2016).
- Shaw, C. & Sims, S. Student Perceptions of "Student Engagement" at the University of Winchester. RAISE Conference (Loughborough, 8th Sept 2016).
- Shaw, C., & Lowe, T. Enhancing Perspectives on Student Engagement Activities on Campus. University of Derby Academic Development Day (Derby, 17th June 2016).
- Shaw, C., Student Perceptions of Student Engagement. Winchester Learning and Teaching Day (Winchester, 9th June 2016).
- Wait, R., Shaw, C. & Lowe, T. Making Student Engagement a Reality. Workshop. QAA Evolving Student Engagement (Manchester, 17th May 2016).
- Lowe, T., Shaw, C., Vision and practice; building partnership approaches in Student Engagement at the University of Winchester. Open University Putting Students First: Student Engagement Conference (Milton Keynes, 23rd November 2015).
- Sims, S., Shaw, C. Developing and Embedding Partnership with the Student Fellows Scheme. Association for Learning Technology 2015 (Manchester, 10 September 2015).
- Shaw, C., Lowe, T., Students engaging with 'Student Engagement' A Change of Perspective at Winchester Student Union. Poster (Winner of Judges Choice for Best Poster) Jisc Change Agent Network Conference (Birmingham, March 18t