Research-led teaching and outstanding support is offered across undergraduate and postgraduate study in: Animal Welfare and Society; Anthropology; Archaeology; Classical Studies; Creative Writing; English; Ethics; Geography; History; Philosophy; Politics and International Relations; Psychology; Religion and Theology, and Sociology.
We are proud of the range and quality of our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. These programmes are widely recognised as providing students with high-quality learning opportunities. Our innovative programmes enable you to develop in-depth subject expertise and relevant skills for the future that not only meet but exceed employers’ expectations.
Besides being dedicated lecturers, our academics are active researchers who contribute substantially to a high-impact research environment. Our faculty achieved strong results in the most recent Research Excellence Framework, especially in Theology and Religious Studies, History and Psychology.
We actively engage in research and knowledge exchange through our centres, consultancies, public engagement and the many fascinating projects carried out by our researchers.
Image top courtesy of History alumnus Patrick Young.
Discover our schools and departments
Department of Social Sciences
Home to Animal Welfare and Society, Geography, Politics, and Sociology
Department of English and Creative Writing
Home of English Literature, Linguistics and Creative Writing
School of History, Archaeology and Philosophy
Home of Archaeology, Anthropology, Classical Studies, History, Philosophy and Religion
Meet the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences team
- Prof. Michael Bradshaw, Faculty Dean
- Dr Gareth Morgan, Director of Faculty Operations
- Dr Nicola Puckey, Head of Department of English and Creative Writing
- Dr Samuel Nyman, Head of Department of Psychology
- Dr Nick Thorpe, Head of School of History, Archaeology and Philosophy
- Dr Tom Ball, Head of Department of Social Sciences
- Dr Eric Lacey, Faculty Research Degrees Lead
- Myra Wilkinson, Faculty Web/Research & Engagement Officer