Nigel Tubbs works in the interface between philosophy and education. His publications explore how this relationship affects the concept of 'the teacher', of 'education' and the shape of the history of western philosophy. He has been part of the development of degree programmes in Modern Liberal Arts, both undergraduate and postgraduate, which explore the idea of a liberal arts education as an exploration in first principles grounded in a notion of philosophical education.
- 2017 God, Education, and Modern Metaphysics: the logic of 'know thyself', Routledge Research in Religion and Education Series
- 2014. Philosophy and Modern Liberal Arts: Freedom is to learn, Palgrave
- 2009. History of Western Philosophy, Palgrave
- 2008. Education in Hegel, Continuum
- 2005. Philosophy of the Teacher, Blackwell
- 2004. Philosophy's Higher Education, Kluwer
- 1997. Contradiction of Enlightenment: Hegel and the Broken Middle, Ashgate
- 1996. The New Teacher, Fulton
- 2015 ‘Return of the Teacher’, In Search of Subjectivities : An Educational Philosophy and Theory Teacher Education Reader, Volume II, London, Taylor and Francis.
- 2016 ‘Epistemology as Education’, Education Sciences 6.4 (41) http://www.mdpi.com/2227-7102/6/4/41/htm
- 2017 ‘Freedom is to Learn: Education for its Own Sake’, Back to the Core: Rethinking Core Texts in Liberal Arts & Sciences Education in Europe, ed. Emma Cohen de Lara & Hanke Drop.
- 2015 'Gillian Rose and Education' Telos, no. 173, Winter 2015, pp. 125-143.
- 2014 ‘Humanitas, Metaphysics and Modern Liberal Arts’ Educational Philosophy and Theory, Volume 46, Issue 5, April 2014, pages 488-498.
- 2014 'Hegel', Encyclopedia of Educational Theory and Philosophy, ed. DC Phillips, London, Sage Publications, pp. 364-7; http://knowledge.sagepub.com/view/encyclopedia-of-education-theory-and-philosophy/n161.i1.xml
- 2014 ‘Howard Caygill on resistance: ecce homo’ Journal for Cultural Research, Volume 18, Issue 4, 2014, pp. 370-383.
- 2013 ‘Existentialism and Humanism: Humanity—Know Thyself!’ in Studies in Philosophy and Education, September 2013, Volume 32, Issue 5, pp 477-490.
- 2013 ‘The Value of the Arts’ Journal of Philosophy of Education, vol. 47, Issue 3, pages 441–456.
- 2011 ‘Know Thyself: Macrocosm and Microcosm’ in Studies in Philosophy and Education,vol. 30. No. 1.
- 2010 ‘Towards and New Critical Language in Education’ in The Possibility/Impossibility of a New Critical language in Education, Ed. Ilan Gur Ze’ev, Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- 2010. 'Response to Ross Abbinnett's Review of Education in Hegel', Studies in Philosophy and Education, vol. 29, no.1, pp. 97-100
- 2009. 'Philosophy and Authority', in Educational Dimensions of Educational Administration and Leadership, London, Routledge
- 2006. 'Toward a New Critical Language in Education'
- 2006. 'Education and the free market', in Education Studies: an Issue-based Approach, Exeter, Learning Matters
- 2005. 'Fossil Fuel Culture', Parallax 37, 11:4. November
- 2005. 'The Philosophy of Critical Pedagogy', in Critical Theory and Critical Pedagogy Today - Toward a New Critical Language in Education. (ed.) Gur-Ze'ev, l., University of Haifa
- 1999. ‘Hegel and the Philosophy of Education’ The Encyclopaedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory (EEPAT), http://eepat.net/doku.php?id=hegel_and_philosophy_of_education_ii
- 2017 ‘Liberal Arts: Know Thyself’, Association of Core Texts and Courses Annual Conference, Dallas, USA.
- 2017 ‘Vocation, Freedom and Learning’, Association of Core Texts and Courses Annual Conference, Dallas, USA
- 2016 'Green Metaphysics, sustainable liberal arts education' European Liberal Education Students Conference, Leuphana, Germany.
- 2016 'Liberal Arts for Teachers' Association of Core Texts, Atlanta, USA.
- 2015 'Education for its own sake', Liberal Arts and Sciences Education and Core Texts in the European Context Conference, Amsterdam.
- 2014 'Modern Liberal Arts', The Future of Liberal Arts, King's College London, October.
- 2014 ‘Dante: a modern divine comedy’, Association of Core Texts, Los Angeles, USA.
- 2014 ‘Core texts and liberal arts in Europe’, Association of Core Texts, Los Angeles, USA.
- 2013 Symposium on humanities in the 21st century, University of Oxford, March
- 2013 ‘Thinking in the Severe Style,’ Kingston University, London.
- 2011 ‘Freedom is to Learn,’ Trinity College Dublin, June.
- 2011 ‘Existentialism and Humanism: humanity, know thyself,’ Bergen University, Norway, September.
- 2011 ‘Theory and Education for its own sake,’ Contesting Education and Research seminar (PESGB), Sheffield University, December.
- 2010 ‘Potential and Actual Education’ London Institute of Education, November.