We have stunning living options for you to choose from – ranked 15th out of 116 universities by the Times Higher Education.

View content

Got a question?

There are a lot of things to consider before you make your application and before you move to Winchester. Hopefully the FAQs below should answer most of your questions, but do still contact Student Housing Services if anything is unclear.


Am I eligible to apply for accommodation?

As long as you are due to be a full-time first-year student and have made Winchester your firm choice (either through UCAS or directly with us), then you are eligible to apply. The application deadline for guaranteed accommodation is 14 June 2021 (extended for 2021 due to changes to the UCAS deadline date). You are still able to apply after this date and we will do our best to find you university accommodation and, should we not be able to offer you a room, provide you with information to search for accommodation privately.

See our how to apply section

I have chosen Winchester as my insurance choice, can I apply?

You are only eligible to apply for accommodation if you have made Winchester your firm first choice. Once results have been issued in August and you know you are coming to Winchester, check our website or contact Student Housing Services to find out what you need to do next.

If we are not able to offer you a room in University housing, we will provide information and advice about finding accommodation off-campus and have set up Facebook pages and contact lists to keep you in touch with other new students. We are also able to provide you with access to available properties and rooms via our Winchester student pad website. You are able to apply to be placed on a waiting list for University accommodation (on or off campus) as it comes up throughout the first term.

How do I apply?

Please see the How to Apply page for more details. You will only be able to do this once you have accepted Winchester as your firm choice and hold either a conditional or unconditional offer. You will need your 7 digit Winchester ID Number which can be found on your correspondence from the University (sometimes referred to as your ‘username’).  Contact us if you’re not sure. You will also need to enter an email address, make sure that you use an address that you will have access to in September (some school or college email accounts close down in August).

You will receive an email to confirm your account has been created and then a further email once your application is complete.

You will be asked to select 6 preferences for accommodation, so make sure you have read through the information on all your options.

Can I see the accommodation?

Subject to current Covid-19 Guidance, yes! Please enquire here about booking onto a campus tour or Open Day.

You can also take a tour of some of our accommodation via the online Virtual Tour.

Can I bring my car, motorcycle or bicycle?

If you are living in University-managed accommodation on campus you are not permitted to park on campus at any time, this includes motorcycle parking. We do have secure bicycle storage areas by each Halls.

Many of our off campus properties will have access to off campus parking, whether that’s a driveway, garage, on road (no permit required), on road (permit required). However, from September 2019 entry, new students will not be able to bring their car to park on campus, except those who meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the Parking Regulations. You can access the Parking Regulations on the Intranet once you have enrolled.

The University offers a significantly discounted rate for the Park and Ride scheme, which is the cheapest option if you are looking to bring your car to Winchester. There are four Park & Ride sites in Winchester; the nearest bus stop is outside the Royal Hampshire County Hospital on Romsey Road, less than a five minute walk from both the King Alfred and West Downs Quarters.

Students are encouraged to use public transport whenever possible, and the University also offers a wide range of discounts on local Bluestar buses, Stagecoach Unirider buses and South Western Railway season tickets.

If you are unsure about the best way to get to the University or have enquiries about travel by public transport please email environment@winchester.ac.uk. Questions regarding parking can be directed to the Parking Office.

Can I live in residences after my first year?

At the moment we cannot accommodate returning students in Halls.
We do guarantee housing to all international students and those with a disability or medical need to be in Halls for the duration of their course providing they apply by the guarantee deadline date.

Can I live in the residences during the summer?

Subject to any Covid-19 restrictions placed on certain hospitality, we are usually able to provide accommodation over the summer. We do not have full use of the Accommodation during this time and so students will usually be required to move at the end of their current licence period. Information about this is usually available in April from Student Housing Services.

How do I pay?

You can pay the residence fees all in one go and receive a discount off the total or set up a Recurring Card Payment to pay in three instalments which are in line with your loan payments. See our costs section about pricing and payment.

What do I need to bring?

All on-campus study-bedrooms are furnished with a bed, chair, desk, wardrobe, bookshelf space and a noticeboard. All on-campus accommodation has a sink unit. En-Suite study rooms have their own WC, shower and sink unit.

Students are required to provide their own bedding including sheets, pillows, pillowcases and duvet, duvet cover or blankets.

Self-catered kitchens are fitted with an electric cooker, microwave, fridge freezer and a kettle. It is a good idea to hold off purchasing extra appliances, such as sandwich toasters, until you arrive as students may wish to buy these together as a house. Students will need to bring crockery, including cups, plates, dishes, and so on (suitable for microwave use) and cutlery. All cutlery and cooking utensils, pots and pans must be suitable for electric hob use. It is also advisable to bring tea towels, dishcloths and coat hangers.

Students in catered accommodation will have use of a small kitchenette so will need to bring cutlery, crockery and cups. A microwave and fridge are available for use.

Bedding and Kitchen packs can be ordered when you make your application – details of what is included and the cost will be indicated before you make your order.

Off campus properties have similar provisions, but they can vary between properties. All bedrooms will have either a single or double bed, wardrobe space, shelving and/or drawers, desk and chair as minimum.

Kitchens will be fitted with an oven, fridge, freezer and microwave as standard. Most will also have a kettle and toaster already in situ.

It is a good idea to hold off purchasing extra appliances, such as sandwich toasters, until you arrive as students may wish to buy these together as a house. Students will need to bring crockery, including cups, plates, dishes, and so on (suitable for microwave use) and cutlery. All cutlery and cooking utensils, pots and pans must be suitable for electric hob use. It is also advisable to bring tea towels, dishcloths and coat hangers.

How are the rooms allocated?

The allocation of rooms is undertaken on a first applied first allocated basis in date order from when the application was received. We do aim to allocate students into one of their 6 preferences.  However, the later you apply the less likely this will be.  If we are not able to offer you one of your preferences, we will offer you the next alternative room.

Please read through Housing Allocation Policy 2021.


When will I hear what room I have?

We start sending room allocations out, by email, from mid-July onwards. You will need to make sure you have your login details from when you created your account to apply. You will need to make sure you accept your licence agreement online before you arrive at the University.

We tend to send our offers out in batches; this is to give our team a chance to respond to any queries received before sending the next batch out.

Please don’t worry if you see that someone else has received their offer and you have not, it will arrive!

Can I change my allocation?

We are not able to make any adjustments to allocations before you arrive as we anticipate that all our rooms will be full. If you would like to find out more about the accommodation you have been offered, please do get in contact with us. We know that some students may receive an offer for a room type that they were not expecting or that was not their top choice and we encourage students to wait till they get here and settle in. Many students change their mind once they are here!

Can I move rooms once I’m here?

Subject to Covid-19 Guidance, we are usually able to offer a room transfer application for those who would like to move. We do have an initial 4 week settling in period before we start to move students.

What happens if I choose to cancel?

If you have made the decision to not take the accommodation, then you will just need to make sure you let us know in writing (email is fine). We will then make sure we cancel your allocation. If you make the decision after you arrive at the University, you will need to visit Student Housing Services for information on withdrawing from the accommodation as costs may apply.

When do I move into my accommodation?

Subject to any changes in line with Covid-19 guidance, arrivals to accommodation should start from Saturday 11 September 2021. At this time, we are not able to confirm the duration of the Arrival period, however we will communicate this to students.

Are my contents insured?

We have partnered with student insurance provider Endsleigh to provide some cover for the contents in your room if you live in University Managed Accommodation (either on or off campus*).

You don’t need to do anything to action this cover, but we encourage you to ensure you fully understand the protection provided and check it is sufficient for your needs.

Visit Check Your Cover to:

  • Check your level of cover
  • Review key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Learn how to make a claim
  • Extend and personalise your cover to protect laptops, phones and other valuables

*If you live in Riverside Way or Andover Road, you have a separate cover agreement with Endsleigh. Use the same link above to search for Riverside Way/Cathedral Point.

Your Accommodation includes...

  • unlimited, free WIFI
  • all bills covered 
  • 24 hour security
  • cleaning service for communal areas
  • bedroom furniture
  • en-suites in most rooms
  • bike lockers for hire
  • contents insurance
  • short walk to campus
  • close to city centre, shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants...
  • train station and bus stops nearby


+44 (0)1962 827533

The Student Accommodation Code Logo