Information for Needs Assessors

Study Needs Assessors may find the information on this page helpful when assessing students for the purposes of Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).


Study Needs Assessors may find the information on this page helpful when assessing students for the purposes of Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).

If you require further information please contact the Disability and Learning Diversity Team by emailing  or calling via telephone 01962 827341 to discuss the matter with one of our Disability Advisers.

Frequently asked questions

Does the University provide funding to assist students who are required to contribute £200 towards DSA computer equipment?

Where students cannot afford to contribute towards the cost of DSA recommended equipment, means-tested support is available via the University's Hardship Fund which opens near the end of October each academic year. Students are advised to email for more information.

Does the University offer a loan scheme for equipment?

A small stock of equipment (e.g. digital voice recorders and laptops with assistive technology installed) is available for short-term loan (no longer than 8 weeks) for disabled students. This service may be used by students who are in the process of applying for DSAs or hardship funding (to cover the cost of the £200 contribution) or during periods when personal equipment is being fixed and the AT provider is unable to provide courtesy equipment.

We also offer a laptop loan scheme which enables all students to borrow a laptop for use on or off campus for up to 24 hours. These laptops do not have any assistive software installed.

Does the University have lecture capture facilities in place?

We do not have lecture capture facilities widely available across campus. Whilst some lecturers record themselves and distribute their recordings to their students, this is not widely practised. In accordance with our Accessible and Inclusive Learning Policy, all students are permitted to record tutor-led teaching sessions using their own personal recording equipment.

Are students provided with a free copy of Microsoft Office 365?

All students enrolled at the University are able to download a personal copy of the full Office Pro Plus licence on Office 365. Once Drive is also included which provides 50GB of storage for files.

What printing/photocopying facilities do you have on campus?

There are a number of open access multi-function printers on the University campus which have scanning and photocopying functionality. Students need to pay for printing and photocopying. Scanning is free.

What assistive technology do you have?

The following assistive technology applications are currently available on all computers in open access areas and computer-based teaching rooms across campus:

  • Inspiration 9
  • TextHelp Read and Write II
  • ClaroRead Plus

Mindview is available on a limited number of open access computers. Students with disclosed disabilities can also access JAWS, Dragon and SuperNova at selected times in our dedicated AT room in Student Services.

The software available on campus is not currently available for students' personal use on their own computing devices. We are currently reviewing options in this area and so the continuation of DSAs funded assistive software is advisable.

We provide introductory group sessions to some assistive technology, but this resource is limited. These are not full training sessions or set-up sessions, but a chance for staff and students to see if particular software might meet their needs.

How is the University supporting students who have needs which would have previously been met through the provision of band one/two DSA support?

The University of Winchester will be implementing a range of approaches to support these students. The University will consider the barriers a student faces to access their H.E. as identified within their NAR and use this to form the basis of our discussion with the student about their support.

What support does the University offer to support students accessing books and reading materials?

The University is committed to making all learning resources as accessible as possible. As per our Accessible and Inclusive Learning Policy, we aim to purchase adequate quantities of books to allow the spread of loan types and for all core texts, make e-books available alongside the printed copies as default, wherever possible. Where suitable resources are not available, our library will able to offer assistance upon request.

As part of our inclusive agenda, staff are encouraged to follow the principles of inclusive document design and consider the accessibility of all resources at the course design and (re)validation stages.

We are also subscribed to the full online document conversion tool, SensusAccess Robobraille which gives students and staff self-sufficiency in creating accessible formats.

Does the University have Modified Assessment Provision?

We will make reasonable adjustments to assessment where need is identified within needs assessment reports and/or diagnostic assessments. With programme agreement this may include alternative assessment/mode of delivery and/or the provision of additional support in exams. Exam support may include but is not limited to:

  • Additional time
  • Rest breaks
  • Use of a PC and Assistive Technology such as TextHelp or Dragon if applicable
  • Provision of reader/scribe support

For more information please refer our Assessment Regulations

Are students with disabilities allowed extensions to assignment deadlines?

We understand that students may have mitigating circumstances due to their disability, such as the need for extended course deadlines or disability-related absence and aim to provide clear, transparent advice and support in these cases. You can find more information and read our Extenuating Circumstances Policy.

Do you offer marking adjustments e.g. markers to identify students with SpLD so that spelling and grammar errors are not marked down?

We do not operate a two-tier or 'sympathetic' marking system. Instead, emphasis is on the utilisation of support and the implementation of reasonable adjustments and inclusive marking practices.

When marking the work of students with diagnosed learning differences such as dyslexia, markers must consult the document: Assessment of work by students with specific learning differences: guidance for academic staff. Students with learning differences are given the option to attach a 'sticker' to their assignments as a reminder to academic staff.

Information for External Providers

If you are an external provider who has been assigned to a University of Winchester student please contact  for an external provider pack.

What are your rates for NMH?

The University of Winchester does not have any provision for Band 4 NMH support. 

Is the University registered with DSA QAG as a provider of DSA funded Non-Medical Help (NMH)?

The University of Winchester will continue to offer in-house provision of the following forms of DSA funded band four NMH:

  • Specialist One to One Study Skills Support (SpLD and AS)
  • Specialist Mentoring (Mental Health and AS)
  • Assistive Technology Training

All NMH are permanently employed by the University and have enhanced DBS checks. All one to one support sessions are provided in private, confidential spaces on the King Alfred Campus. 

To arrange support students should email if they need require assistance. Students should not contact individual members of staff. Needs assessors are requested to use as the contact details for the disability support team. We are unable to arrange support prior to students' arrival at the University.

We are not registered with DSA QAG for NMH Bands 1-3. Where students are entitled to such support through DSAs, needs assessors should refer to the DSA QAG database. We do not have a preferred second provider for band four NMH support or a preferred provider for any other DSA funded support.

At this time The University of Winchester is unable to accept any recommendations for Specialist One to One Study Skills Support (SpLD and AS) and Specialist Mentoring (Mental Health and AS).

How does the University support disabled students with additional accommodation requirements?

To find out all about how we support disabled students with additional accommodation requirements, please see our students with disabilities webpage.