I am Reader in Environmental Archaeology and Director of Archaeology's consultancy arm, ARCA. I set up ARCA in 2004 and now run its geoarchaeology and geomatics programmes.
I have been a Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer and now Reader in the Department of Archaeology at the University of Winchester (and its forebears) since 1997, before which I was in charge of environmental archaeology at Cotswold Archaeology. I obtained my undergraduate degree (1989) from the Institute of Archaeology, University College London, and went on to complete a PhD (1993) at the same institution titled The influence of local factors on palaeoenvironment and land-use: evidence from dry valley fills in the South Downs.
At the University of Winchester I teach on BA, BSc, MA and MRes programmes in Archaeology, as well as supervising research students. I lecture on environmental archaeology, geoarchaeology, GIS, archaeological field techniques, Cultural Resource Management, climate change and Lower Palaeolithic archaeology, as well as on Geography.
Areas of expertise
- Palaeoenvironmental Reconstruction
- Field Survey Techniques
- Remote Sensing
- Wilkinson, K.N. and Stevens, C. 2003 Environmental Archaeology. Approaches, Techniques & Applications. Stroud: Tempus.
Edited works: selected contributions (since 2000)
- Wilkinson, K.N. and Bond, C.J. (2001) Interpreting archaeological site distribution in dynamic sedimentary environments. One land, many landscapes: papers from a session held at the European Association of Archaeologists fifth annual meeting in Bournemouth 1999 (ed. by T.C. Darvill and M. Gojda), pp 55-66. British Archaeological Reports International Series 987, Oxford.
- Wilkinson, K.N. (2002) Prospecting the Palaeolithic: strategies for the archaeological investigation of middle Pleistocene deposits in southern England. Palaeolithic archaeology of the Solent river (ed. by F. Wenban-Smith and R. Hosfield), pp. 99-109. Lithic Studies Society Occasional Paper 7, London.
- Wilkinson, K.N., Barber, L. and Bennell, M. (2002) The examination of six dry valleys in the Brighton area: the changing environment. Downland landscape and settlement: the archaeology of the Brighton by-pass (ed. by D. Rudling), pp. 203-238. Archetype and English Heritage, London.
- Wilkinson, K.N. and Pope, R.J.J. (2003) Quaternary alluviation and archaeology in the Evrotas Valley, southern Greece. Alluvial archaeology in Europe (ed. by A.J. Howard. Macklin, M.G. and D. Passmore), pp 187-202. Balkema, Lisse.
- Allison, E., Branch, N., Cameron, N., Dobinson, S., Ellis, I., Ellison, P., Fairbairn, A., Green, C., Hunter, R., Lee, J., Locker, A., Lowe, J.J., Palmer, A., Robinson, E., Stewart, J. and Wilkinson, K.N. (2004) The environmental evidence. The Dover Bronze Age boat (ed. by P. Clark), pp. 229-255, English Heritage, London.
- Pope, R.J.J. and Wilkinson, K.N. (2005) Reconciling the roles of climate and tectonics in late Quaternary fan development on the Spartan piedmont. Alluvial fans: geomorphology, sedimentology, dynamics (ed. by A.M. Harvey, A.E. Mather and M. Stokes), pp 133-152, Geological Society Special Publication 251, London.
- Wilkinson, K.N. and Straker, V. (2008) Neolithic and Early Bronze Age environments in South-west England. In Webster, C.J. (ed.) The archaeology of South-west England. South-west Archaeological Research Frameworks: resource assessment and research agenda. Somerset County Council, Taunton, pp 63-74.
- Wilkinson, K.N. (2010) Investigation of a palaeosol sequence at Jeitun: excavation of a ditch-like feature and magnetic susceptibility. In: D.R. Harris (Ed.) Origins of agriculture in western central Asia: an environmental-archaeological study. University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Philadelphia, 137-142.
- Adler, D.S., Yeritsyan, B. Wilkinson, K.N., Pinhasi, R., Bar-Oz, G., Nahapetyan, S., Bailey, R., Schmidt, B.A. Glauberman, P., Wales, N. and Gasparian. B. (2012) The Hrazdan Gorge Palaeolithic Project, 2008 2009, in: P. Avetisyan and A. Bobokhyan (Eds) Archaeology of Armenia in regional context, Proceedings of the International Conference dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography held on September 15-17, 2009 in Yerevan, Armenia. NAS RA Gitutyn Publishing House, pp 21-37.
- Wilkinson, K.N., Branch, N.P., Llobera, M., Marini, N.A.F, Mazet, S. and Weiss, M-C. (2015) The Neolithic in La Balagne, Corsica: an evaluation using palynological, geoarchaeological and landscape archaeological data. In: G. Nash and A. Townsend (Eds) Decoding Atlantic and Mediterranean island ritual. Oxbow, Oxford, 226-239.
Selected journal papers: academic (since 2000)
- Bates, M.R., Bowen, D.Q., Gibbard, P.L., Irving, B., Macphail, R.I., Parfitt, S.A., Preece, R.C., Roberts, M.B., Robinson, J.E., Whittaker, J., and Wilkinson, K.N. (2000) Late Middle Pleistocene deposits at Norton Farm on the West Sussex coastal plain, Sussex, southern England. Journal of Quaternary Science 15, 61-89.
- Pope, R.J.J., Wilkinson, K.N. and Millington, A.C. (2003) Late Quaternary deposition on the Sparta Basin piedmont: evidence from a geoarchaeological investigation of alluvial fan systems. Geoarchaeology 18, 685-724.
- Wilkinson, K.N. (2003) A matter of scale: dry valley fills as proxy indicators of palaeoenvironment, climate and land-use change in southern England. Geoarchaeology 18, 725-755.
- Wilkinson, K.N., Gerrard, C.M., Aguilera, I., Bailiff, I. and Pope, R.J.J. (2005) Prehistoric and historic landscape change in Aragón, Spain: some results from the Moncayo Archaeological Survey. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 18.1, 31-54.
- Wilkinson, K.N., Beck, A.R. and Philip, G. (2006) Satellite imagery as a resource in the prospection for archaeological sites in Central Syria. Geoarchaeology 21, 735-750.
Wilkinson, K.N., Tyler, A., Davidson, D. and Grieve, I. (2006) Quantifying the threat to archaeological sites from the erosion of cultivated soil. Antiquity 80, 658-670.
- Pope, R., Wilkinson, K.N., Skourtsos, E., Triantaphyllou, M., and Ferrier, G. (2008) Clarifying Stages of alluvial fan evolution along the Sfakian piedmont, southern Crete: new evidence from analysis of post-incisive soils and OSL dating. Geomorphology 94, 206-225.
- Pinhasi R., Gasparian B., Wilkinson K.N., Stephens M., Nahapetyan S.,. Bailey R., Hoffmann, D., Pike A.W.G., Bar-Oz, G., Chataigner C., Bruch, A., Schreve D. and Hovsepyan, R. (2008) Hovk 1 and the Middle and Upper Paleolithic of Armenia: a preliminary framework. Journal of Human Evolution 55, 803-816.
- Llobera, M., Wilkinson, K.N., Weiss, M.-C., Flaming, R.J., Marini, N.A.F. and Mazet, S. (2010) Into the Maquis: methodological and interpretational challenges in surveying La Balagne, Northwest Corsica. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 23, 169-196.
- Pinhasi, R., Gasparian, B. Nahapetyan, S. Bar-Oz, G., Weissbrod, L., Bruch, A., Hovsepyan, R. and Wilkinson, K.N. (2011) Middle Palaeolithic human occupation of the high altitude region of Hovk-1, Armenia. Quaternary Science Reviews 30, 3846-3857.
- Areshian, G.E., Gasparyan, B., Avetisyan, P.S., Pinhasi, R., Wilkinson, K.N., Smith, A., Hovsepyan, R. and Zardaryan, D. (2012) The chalcolithic of the Near East and south-eastern Europe: discoveries and new perspectives from the cave complex Areni-1, Armenia. Antiquity 86, 115130.
- Bar-Oz, G. Weissbrod, L., Gasparian, B., Nahapetyan, S., Wilkinson, K.N. and Pinhasi, R. (2012) Taphonomy and zooarchaeology of a high-altitude Upper Pleistocene faunal sequence from Hovk-1 Cave, Armenia. Journal of Archaeological Science 39, 24522463.
- Wilkinson, K.N., Gasparian, B., Pinhasi, R., Avetisyan, P., Hovsepyan, R., Zardaryan, D., Areshian, G., Bar-Oz, G. and Smith, A. (2012) Areni-1 Cave, Armenia: a ChalcolithicEarly Bronze Age settlement and ritual site in the Southern Caucasus. Journal of Field Archaeology 37, 18-31.
- Frahm, E., Feinberg, J.M., Schmidt-Magee, B.A., Wilkinson, K.N., Gasparyan, B., Yeritsyan, B., Karapetian, S., Meliksetian, K., Muth, M.J. and Adler, D.S. (2014) Sourcing geochemically identical obsidian: multiscalar magnetic variations in the Gutansar volcanic complex and implications for Palaeolithic research in Armenia. Journal of Archaeological Science 47, 164-178.
- Vincke, D., Miller, R., Stassart, E., Otte, M., Dardenne, P. Collins, M., Wilkinson, K.N., Stewart, J., Baeten, V., Fernández Pierna, J.A. (2014) Analysis of collagen preservation in bones recovered in archaeological contexts using NIR hyperspectral Imaging. Talanta 125, 181-188.
- Adler, D.S., Wilkinson, K.N., Blockley, S.P.E., Mark, D.F., Pinhasi, R., Schmidt-Magee, B.A, Yeritsyan, B., Nahapetyan, S., Mallol, C., Berna, F., Glauberman, P.J., Raczynski-Henk, Y., Wales, N., Cullen, V.L., Frahm, E., Jöris, O., Macloud, A., Smith, V.C. and Gasparian. B. (2014) Early Levallois Technology and the Transition from the Lower to Middle Palaeolithic in the Southern Caucasus. Science 345, 1609-1613.
- Hewlett, D., Harding L., Munro, T., Terradillos, A., Wilkinson, K. 2016. Broadly engaging with tranquillity in protected landscapes: A matter of perspective identified in GIS. Landscape and Urban Planning 158, February 2017. pp. 185-201. (Read it online).