If you are interested in studying abroad at the University of Winchester please see the information below.

View content


Who can apply?

The Exchange programme is open to students from our 'exchange partner' American and Canadian Universities. Our exchange partners in the US include: University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire; University of Southern Maine; Southern Oregon University; Shenandoah University; Georgia College State University; Montana State University Billings; Lander University; Eastern Illinois University; Westminster College. In Canada, our exchange partners include University of Kings College and St.Francis Xavier University.

Magi and Emily came to Winchester from Lander University, South Carolina. 

Two female incoming exchange students

Making the choice to study abroad was both exciting and terrifying, but the University of Winchester welcomed us with open arms. They accommodated our needs and made us feel very comfortable. We grew both as students and as people and we would never trade this experience for anything.

How and when to apply?

If you have not already been nominated by your home university exchange co-ordinator, please contact studyabroad@winchester.ac.uk  to check whether a nomination is required.

If you have already been nominated, please complete the Winchester Application Form and Module Selection Form for Incoming Study Abroad Students and arrange for your home university exchange co-ordinator to email them to studyabroad@winchester.ac.uk These forms do not have to be posted separately.

Students wishing to apply for University Managed Housing must also complete a Housing Application Form.

Please note that places on Study Abroad at Winchester are limited and students are advised to apply as early as possible.

Application deadlines:

  • For semester 1, 2019/20 – applications must be received by 24 May 2019
  • For semester 2, 2019/20 – applications must be received by 25 October 2019

All applications must be 2.8 minimum Grade Point Average (GPA). 

If English is not your first language, you must provide one form of evidence of your English language competence from the list below and enclose with your application:

IELTS – Minimum overall score of 6, with a minimum of 5.5 in all areas

An Overseas GCE O level in English language at Grade A – C or equivalent qualification

Other information for incoming students

Academic information

Studying Abroad offers students a chance to study in a new academic culture and possibly study new topics

Academic Culture

We have four faculties: ARTS, BLS (Business, Law and Sport), HSS (History and Social Sciences) and EHSC (Education, Health and Social Care). Upon arrival at the University of Winchester you will be placed in the faculty which best fits your area of study. Your faculty will handle the modules you take and support your academic study.

Admission and module changes are handled by the Study Abroad Co-ordinator, who is located in the Registry department. This allows the University to have a centrally organised Study Abroad system.

Modules and credits

A full-time student would be expected to take 60 credits per semester or 120 credits per academic year. Each module is usually worth 15 credits. This usually means that you will take 4 modules per semester or 8 per academic year. One credit translates to 10 hours worth of work.

At the University of Winchester, Home students usually follow a strict structure to their programme. However, as an exchange student your home institution will define which level is best suited to your current level of study. Year 1 classes are defined at Level 4 (or level 1) with a module code starting with a 1. Year 2 classes are defined at Level 5 (or level 2) with a module code starting with a 2. Year 3 classes are defined at Level 6 (or level 3) with a module code starting with a 3. For postgraduate programmes each level is increased depending of the level of study.

Information for students eligible to select BA Primary Education Teaching modules

Eligible students are from partner institutions with whom we have a specific Education subject agreement.

Suitable modules for Teaching can be found below.

How do I request a placement?

We specialise in primary education so placements would normally be in a primary school. We can offer a maximum of 8 -10 days in school. Please ensure that you advise Study Abroad that you require a placement when you submit your application.

In order to apply for a placement, you must enclose a copy of your Police Certificate from your own country with your Study Abroad application. The Police Certificate should be no more than 6 months old at the time of submission. The copy should be certified by your home university co-ordinator. We will also ask to see the original document at arrivals week.

UK Police Checks for students who have requested placements

Please note that you will be asked to complete an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check during arrivals week. The current cost for an Enhanced DBS check is £44, which you will be required to pay for. The cost is set by the DBS and may be subject to change. You will be provided with further information regarding the arrangements for the DBS check by the Study Abroad Co-ordinator. The DBS can take a few weeks to process the records so please be aware your placement is likely to occur towards the end of your semester with us.

Pay here for your DBS

Module information

Please read the Guide to Making Module Selections carefully before completing your Module Selection Form for Incoming Study Abroad Students. When fully completed submit with your application documents.

Modules and Credits

A full-time student would be expected to take 60 CATS credits (equivalent to 30 ECTS credits) per semester. Each module is usually worth 15 CATS credits (7.5 ECTS credits), so this means that you will normally take 4 modules per semester.

  • 1 CATS credit translates to 10 hour 's worth of work.

Module Catalogues

Please see below for the 2019/20 Module Catalogues for semester one and two. 

Practical information

For the practical information regarding studying at the University of Winchester please read below.

Semester dates

Semester one 2018/19

  • Arrivals on site - Saturday 14 September 2019
  • Enrolment/Orientation - week beginning Monday 16 September 2019
  • First Classes start - Monday 23 September 2019
  • Classes end - Friday 13 December 2019
  • Move out day - Saturday 14 December 2019

Semester two 2018/19

  • Arrivals on site - Thursday 9 January 2020
  • Enrolment/Orientation - Friday 10 January 2020
  • Classes start - Monday 13 January 2020
  • Classes end - Friday 3 April 2020
  • Move out day - Saturday 4 April 2020

Do you need a visa?

Detailed information on the regulations around entry to the UK can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration website (part of the Home Office).

Tier 4 Visa (Entry Clearance) for International students

Students coming to the UK for six months or less and not intending to work (or do work experience) do not require a Tier 4 student visa. Instead they need a Short Term Study Visa.

Non visa nationals can apply at the airport upon arrival. You will need to bring with you your acceptance letter from the University of Winchester, and tell the Immigration Officer that you wish to enter as a 'Student Visitor'. Please ensure the Immigration Officer gives you the Short Term Study Visa entry stamp. Without this endorsement your entry clearance will be that of a General Visitor.

Visa nationals should apply at the British Embassy nearest to them for a Short Term Study Visa.

Student Visitors are a different immigration category to Tier 4 Visa Students and carry several restrictions:

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You cannot extend your time as a Student Visitor
  • You are entirely prohibited from working
  • You cannot 'switch' into the 'Student' category whilst here, e.g. to work
  • You cannot bring a dependent.

Please note that you can study part-time or full-time under the Short Term Study Visa route.
Students who require visas are advised to travel directly to England and not via the CTA*, as it causes immigration complications.

*The Common Travel Area (CTA) comprises the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Bailiwick of Guernsey, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Isle of Man

American and other Non-EU nationals intending to work whilst they are here (including work experience), and/or considering the possibility of extending their stay beyond six months, MUST contact Studyabroad@winchester.ac.uk for further advice regarding visas. Non-EU students will normally be advised to contact us to obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) form so that they may apply for a Tier 4 student visa from a British diplomatic mission in their home country, which must be done before arrival in the UK.

Travelling from the airport to Winchester

Please do not book your transport until you have received notification of your acceptance from The University of Winchester. For students who have been accepted to Study Abroad at Winchester, please refer to the travel information provided below.

University coach service from Heathrow airport - Arrivals day only

Arrivals day for semester two 2019/20 is Saturday 14 September 2019. Please note that the University coach service picks up from Heathrow ONLY.

Please complete our Airport Pickup Form Sept 2019, and send it to international.students@winchester.ac.uk to book your place.

Arrivals to airports/ ferry terminals other than Heathrow

If you are travelling via another airport/ ferry terminal, you can either make your way to Heathrow and join the University's coach service, or travel independently to the University. You can use the following websites to plan your journey:

Arriving in Winchester city centre

The University is a short walk from the railway station, and a slightly longer walk from the coach stop. You may want to consider taking a taxi; here are some local taxi firms:

Before arriving in the U.K.

Please ensure you complete the checklist of the detail you will need to complete before arriving at the University of Winchester. You can find this at: Forms and Checklist

Continuing students

Upon arrival, if you wish to stay on for semester 2 please contact Studyabroad@winchester.ac.uk to find out whether this is possible. If we are able to accept you for semester 2, your housing contract will be renewed until the end of the semester 2 teaching period.

Please note that you will be required to pay for accommodation during the Christmas break between semesters and if you wish to stay beyond the end of the semester 2 teaching period.


Graeme Cave came to Winchester from Westminster College, Missouri
smiling male exchange student

Coming to Winchester was one of the best decisions I’ve made so far. For one thing, Winchester provided me with a safe, friendly and diverse learning environment that helped me grow intellectually and personally. Winchester also gave me an edge in my post-graduation plans. As a recent graduate I’ve learned quickly that employers are looking for people with a distinctive background and a world perspective. Coming to the UK and Winchester and travelling elsewhere shows them just that.

Checklist for incoming students

Applying to Winchester

Have you....

  • Applied for accommodation (Erasmus students only)?
  • Applied for a VISA (if required)?
  • Found out how and when to pay?
  • Let us know if you require student support?
  • Completed online registration (step one of enrolment at the University of Winchester)?
  • Received your email confirming your registered modules?
  • Booked a place on the airport pickup coach?

Documents to bring with you

  • Your University Acceptance letter
  • Your accommodation contract/ confirmation email
  • If you are a non-visa national applying for entry clearance as a Student Visitor at the airport, please ensure that the Immigration officer writer 'VST' or 'STV' over your immigration stamp. Without this written endorsement, your entry clearance will be that of a General Visitor
  • Your passport
  • Proof of travel into the UK if you enter through a Common Travel Area port/airport to show it was less than 90 days earlier (if you are on a Student Visitor visa).

*The Common Travel Area (CTA) comprises the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man

Upon your arrival

You will undoubtedly be bombarded with lots of information during your arrival and orientation. Please don't worry as you'll find things fit into place once you become more familiar with your surroundings.

Do make sure you attend all the orientation sessions as you will find them very helpful.

Contact us 

Study Abroad
Registry (Winton Building 122b)
University of Winchester
Sparkford Road
England, UK
SO22 4NR

Tel: +44 (0)1962 827210 or 7404
Email: studyabroad@winchester.ac.uk