Jane has a clinical background in General Practice, and has held a variety of senior posts within the Wessex Deanery, both within the General Practice and Secondary Care Postgraduate Education arenas. She developed and led the MA Medical Education Programme at the University of Winchester for ten years, before handing over the baton. The philosophy of that programme reflects Jane¹s belief that medical education should develop through an approach based on educational, rather than medical science, and on practitioner research. Her research interests are around the professional development of medical educators and she made this the subject of her PhD, awarded in 2013. Jane is currently working with the British Educational Research Association (BERA) developing a new partnership with medical education.
Areas of expertise
- Medical education
- Professional development
- Practitioner research
- Lake J, Bell J. Medical educators: the rich symbiosis between clinical and teaching roles. The Clinical Teacher, May 2015.
- Exploring Appraisal. (Occasional Paper, FEHSC, University of Winchester) Bell, J & Scallan, S (Eds) 2013
- Bell, J. (2013), How is Practice learnt? The Professional Development of Medical Educators undertaking an MA Education. PhD Thesis.
Chapters in edited books
- Bell, J., Hutchinson, A., Rea T. and Richards, P. (2012), Transformative pedagogies and the professional learning of educators, In Rabensteiner, P. Ropo, E. (Eds) European Dimensions in Education and Teacher Training, Ettenheim: SVHG.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Bell, J. and Scallan, S. (2011), Postgraduate Certificate for GP Appraisers, Education for Primary Care, (Appraisal Supplement).
- Lake, J. and Bell, J. (2007), How do educational supervisors view innovative training posts? An evaluation of the Portsmouth experience, Education for Primary Care, Vol. 18, Number 5, pp. 588-592.
- Lake, J. and Bell, J. (2008), Community Foundation Year two posts in Portsmouth: trainees’ and supervisors’ views of an innovative approach, Education for Primary Care, Vol. 19, Number 5, pp. 521-525.
- Pitts, J., Elmer, J. and Bell, J. (2005), An exploration of ethical issues in medical education research: Roles and responsibilities of deaneries. Education for Primary Care, Vol. 16, Number 1, pp. 1-9.
- Scallan, S. and Bell, J. (2005), Training pre-registration house officers in general practice: strategies, needs and barriers. Education for Primary Care, Vol. 16, Number 3, pp. 275-282.
Occasional paper (Research in Action Series)
- Bell, J. and Scallan, S. (Eds) (2013), Exploring Appraisal, University of Winchester.
- Bell, J. and Scallan, S. (2013), Initial evaluation of a postgraduate certificate for GP Appraisers. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Royal College of General Practitioners, Harrogate.