Helen Grime is Senior Lecturer in Drama and the Programme Leader for the Drama Programme (and Drama and/with combinations). She studied Drama and Theatre studies as an undergraduate at the University of London. Since when she worked in publishing (at Penguin Books), for Literary Management (at the Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond), as a script advisor (to the playwright Steve Thompson) and in fringe theatre (for companies Tremor Cordis and Centre Forward). She completed her PhD in 2008 and has been teaching in Higher Education for the last fifteen years. In conjunction with local theatre company Platform 4, Helen established The Tempest Club a collaborative performance project involving staff and students from 2009-17. She is an expert judge on the 10x10 playwriting biennial competition.
Areas of expertise
- Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies (1891-1992).
- The actress 1890-1960.
- Theatre Archives
- Article 'She Breastfeeds in the Boardroom: working mothers onstage' Studies in the Maternal 8(2) p 13
- Monograph Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies: Twentieth-Century Actress. Published in the Dramatic Lives series (edited by Professor Katharine Cockin, University of Hull) Routledge July 2013.
- Article 'Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies: Pioneering a pocket-sized Lady Macbeth'. Shakespeare (September 2012)
- Article Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies: Ethereal from the Waist Up and All Welsh Pony down below. NTQ 2011 (27) pp 203-214
- Dramaturgical Consultant (Research) Nora & I Arts Council Funded devised project (Studio Theatre, University of Winchester 2008)
- Numerous papers given at Theatre conferences since 2003.