Dr King is a documentary filmmaker and maker of video installation artworks. She has an extensive track record of self-authored and collaborative projects produced in India and across Europe. Her projects are primarily distributed in art gallery contexts and independent film festivals. Her PhD (obtained from SOAS, University of London) and current research explores the methodologies of contemporary documentary and artist-filmmaking in India and South Asia (1991-2012), investigating the historical legacies and contexts of their local and international distribution.
She is also the founding curator of VisionMix, a network of leading filmmakers, scholars and arts programmers from India, Europe and Hong Kong. Its mission is to generate workshops, develop publications and deliver public screenings in the field of ‘artists moving image’, experimental documentary and photography. The network forges transnational dialogue on film practice, practitioners, audiences and patronage systems in the global South and in Europe.
Areas of expertise
- New forms of film and media theory that are responsive to culturally diverse perspectives
- Emerging international trends in cinematography
- Contemporary cinema in Asia
- Modes of political resistance reflected in film aesthetics
- The impact of patronage on film authorshipThe theories and practice of documenting performance on screen
- Transnational cinema
- European avant-garde and artists’ cinemas
- In development: an article series for the project, ‘Future Orbits’ on speculative futures and futurism in contemporary South/South East Asian and transnational film cultures.
- VisionMix Artists, Filmmakers and Curator’s Workshop, (2015). Event Catalogue of the VisionMix network, New Delhi/London. King, L. and Sawhney, R.
- Filming Dance on Screen; Lucia King on creative strategies and the filmmaker’s technique (2013) ‘Dance and People’, Dance Magazine, South Korea. Swooyeon, Rhee (Ed.)
- Jugada a tres Bandas (2013) Exhibition catalogue. Spanish Ministry of Culture, Madrid and Barcelona. Hablar en Arte, Barcelona
- Persistence/Resistance: Documentary Practices in India (2011) Film Festival Catalogue (co-editor), Magic Lantern Foundation, New Delhi
- Portrayals of children in Indian literature (2005) Co-author/researcher King, L and Bharti, S. KK Birla Foundation, India.