Dr Rachel Locke is Senior Research Officer in the University's Health and Wellbeing Research Group. She is an experienced researcher and evaluator who designs research, carries out fieldwork and data analysis, and has successfully bid for external funding (see below).
Rachel is a tutor on the MA Medical Education, leading on the dissertation module and supervising dissertation and doctoral students. She is a member of the Medical Education Research Centre and works with a network of commissioners in medical education. She mentors researchers external to the University who are engaged with data analysis and dissemination. She is an external research associate for the General Medical Council and on the editorial board as an associate editor for The Clinical Teacher.
Areas of expertise
Professional educational practice and support.
- Bayliss V, Locke R and Salter E, (2009) Continence Care Pathways. Wiley Blackwell, Oxford.
Chapters in edited books
- Sausman C, and Locke R, (2007) The Changing role of the British Senior Civil Service: Challenge and Reform, in: Page E C; Wright V (eds) From the Active to the Enabling State: the changing role of top officials in European Nations. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Locke, R. & Lees, A. (in press) Maintaining the wellbeing of clinicians, The Clinical Teacher 14(2):147-148.
- Locke, R., Alexander, G., Mann, R., Kibble, S. and Scallan, S. (2016), Doctors with dyslexia: strategies and support. The Clinical Teacher. doi: 10.1111/tct.12578.
- Scallan, S., Locke, R. Eksteen, D. and Caesar, S. (2016) The benefits of appraisal: a critical (re)view of the literature, Education for Primary Care.
- Locke R, Scallan, S, Mann R and Alexander G (2016) 'Clinicians with dyslexia: a systematic review of effective workarounds' The Clinical Teacher 12(6) pp. 394-398.
- Lyon-Maris, J., Edwards, L., Scallan, S. and Locke, R. (2015) GP Workload: Time for a rethink of the generalist model of care to promote retention to the workforce? British Journal of General Practice DOI: 10.3399/bjgp15X687145.
- Caesar R, Locke R and Scallan S (2013) 'Medical appraisal and revalidation: can it improve patient care?' Education in Primary Care.
- Scallan S, and Locke R (2012) ‘The benefits of appraisal’ (Letter) Education for Primary Care 23(5) pp. 369-70.
- Locke R, Scallan S, Leach C, and Rickenbach M, (2012) ‘Identifying poor performance among doctors in NHS organizations’ Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice doi:10.1111/j.1365-2753.2012.01868.x
- Locke R, and Jones G, (2012) ‘Tackling Underage Drinking: one local authority’s response’ Education and Health 30(1) pp. 6-10.
- Payler J, and Locke R, (2013) ‘Disrupting Communities of Practice? How ‘reluctant’ practitioners view early years workforce reform in England’ European Early Childhood Education Research Journal, 21(1) pp. 125-137 DOI:10.1080/1350293X.2012.760340.
- Sunley R, and Locke R (2012) ‘Educational Professionals’ Values: Voices from Secondary Schools in England’ Educational Research 54(3) pp. 285-307
- Locke R, Leach C, Kitsell F and Griffith J (2011) ‘The impact on the workload of the Ward Manager with the introduction of administrative assistants’ Journal of Nursing Management 19, pp. 177–185.
- Sunley R, and Locke R (2010) ‘Exploring UK secondary teachers’ professional values: an overview of the literature since 2000’ Educational Research 52(4) pp. 409-425
- Drennan V et al (2007) ‘Entrepreneurial nurses and midwives in the United Kingdom: an integrative review’ Journal of Advanced Nursing 60(5) pp. 459-69.
- Weiss M, Locke R and Graham A (2007) ‘Users’ views of new providers of emergency contraception: A qualitative study’ Primary Health Care Primary Health Care Research & Development 8.
- Evaluation of Wessex Coaching Initiative Thames Valley and Wessex Leadership Academy, 2016
- Evaluation of Remediation Support in UK, Dentistry General Dental Council, 2015
- Local workforce issues in general practice: a way ahead, GP Education Unit, Southampton and Wessex Local Medical Committees
- Evaluation of a GP Mentoring Network: Wessex Insight GP School, Health Education Wessex, February 2014
- Evaluation of the use of Myers Briggs Type Indicator with Speciality Registrars and their Educational Supervisors, December (2011)
- Locke R, Scallan S, Ozguler B and Caesar S, The learning trajectory of medical appraisers: Community of practice and professional identiy in medical appraisal, Paper presentation, BERA Conference, 13- 15 September 2016, University of Leeds
- Locke R. Lees, A and Scallan. S: Prevention of harmful stress amongst doctors, Poster presentation, RCGP Conference, 6-8 October, 2016 Harrogate.
- Locke R, Scallan S, Ozguler B and Caesar S, Community of practice and professional identity in medical appraisal, Poster presentation, RCGP Conference, 6-8 October, 2016 Harrogate.
- Locke R, Scallan. S, Mann R, Alexander, G and Kibble, S. Effective strategies used by doctors with dyslexia in the workplace, Poster presentation, RCGP Conference, 6-8 October, 2016 Harrogate
- Masding M, Odbert R, Locke R, Scallan S and Lees A (2015) Tasters in general practice: GP ST3 trainees mentoring FY1s, NACT UK Foundation Programme Sharing Good Practice Event (March)
- Locke R, Scallan S, Mann R and Alexander G (2014) Doctors with dyslexia: a systematic review of effective workarounds, Centre for Hampshire Collaboration for Health Research and Education launch event (September), the University of Winchester, and RCGP Annual Conference (October)
- Mountfield J, Donovan L, Ball K, Locke R and Scallan S (2014) Recognising and reducing stress in the transition from medical student to foundation trainee, Centre for Hampshire Collaboration for Health Research and Education launch event (September), the University of Winchester, and BMA International Conference on Physician Health, Milestones and Transitions (September) and RCGP Annual Conference (October)