Dr Rachel Locke is a Senior Researcher and Educator at the University of Winchester. She is a social scientist with first, Master’s and Doctorate degrees from Sheffield Hallam, York and Newcastle Universities. Prior to working at Winchester, over the last twenty years Rachel has held academic positions in UK Universities, including at King’s College London. She has led a programme of collaborative practitioner research concerning health professional education, development and practice underpinned by substantial funding from external agencies including for example Health Education England, Department of Health, Revalidation Support Team and General Dental Council.
Rachel is an educator on the MA Medical Education and Postgraduate Certificate courses (for medical appraisers, hospital educators and GP trainers). She has been teaching at the University of Winchester on the MA Education course since 2012 and leads the MA dissertation module. She supervises MA dissertation and doctoral students to completion.
The excellence of Rachel’s teaching has been recognised by the award of ‘Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy’ (FHEA).
Areas of expertise
Key areas of academic expertise:
- Workplace learning of health professionals with a particular focus on what works well;
- Vulnerabilities of health professionals including support and wellbeing;
- Qualitative research design including the development of methods sensitive to participant / practitioner ‘voice’;
- Collaborative practitioner research to uncover what may otherwise be taken for granted about professional practice.
- Bayliss V, Locke R and Salter E, (2009) Continence Care Pathways. Wiley Blackwell, Oxford.
Chapters in edited books
- Sausman C, and Locke R, (2007) The Changing role of the British Senior Civil Service: Challenge and Reform, in: Page E C; Wright V (eds) From the Active to the Enabling State: the changing role of top officials in European Nations. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Locke, R. and Lees, A. (submitted) Prevention of Harmful Stress Amongst Doctors.
- Locke, R., Bell, J., Scallan, S., Ozguler, B. and Caesar, S (2018) The experience and development of medical appraisers. Education for Primary Care. Pages: 1-6. DOI: 10.1080/14739879.2018.1514987
- Locke, R. & Lees, A. (2017) Maintaining the wellbeing of clinicians, The Clinical Teacher 14(2):147-148.
- Price, S., Lusnat, R., Mann, R., and Locke, Rl. (2017) Doctors with Asperger's: the impact of a diagnosis. The Clinical Teacher. doi: 10.1111/tct.12743.
- Locke, R., Alexander, G., Mann, R., Kibble, S. and Scallan, S. (2016), Doctors with dyslexia: strategies and support. The Clinical Teacher. doi: 10.1111/tct.12578.
- Scallan, S., Locke, R. Eksteen, D. and Caesar, S. (2016) The benefits of appraisal: a critical (re)view of the literature, Education for Primary Care.
- Locke R, Scallan, S, Mann R and Alexander G (2016) 'Clinicians with dyslexia: a systematic review of effective workarounds' The Clinical Teacher 12(6) pp. 394-398.
- Lyon-Maris, J., Edwards, L., Scallan, S. and Locke, R. (2015) GP Workload: Time for a rethink of the generalist model of care to promote retention to the workforce? British Journal of General Practice DOI: 10.3399/bjgp15X687145.
- Caesar R, Locke R and Scallan S (2013) 'Medical appraisal and revalidation: can it improve patient care?' Education in Primary Care.
- Scallan S, and Locke R (2012) ‘The benefits of appraisal’ (Letter) Education for Primary Care 23(5) pp. 369-70.
- Locke R, Scallan S, Leach C, and Rickenbach M, (2012) ‘Identifying poor performance among doctors in NHS organizations’ Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice doi:10.1111/j.1365-2753.2012.01868.x
- Locke R, and Jones G, (2012) ‘Tackling Underage Drinking: one local authority’s response’ Education and Health 30(1) pp. 6-10.
- Payler J, and Locke R, (2013) ‘Disrupting Communities of Practice? How ‘reluctant’ practitioners view early years workforce reform in England’ European Early Childhood Education Research Journal, 21(1) pp. 125-137 DOI:10.1080/1350293X.2012.760340.
- Sunley R, and Locke R (2012) ‘Educational Professionals’ Values: Voices from Secondary Schools in England’ Educational Research 54(3) pp. 285-307
- Locke R, Leach C, Kitsell F and Griffith J (2011) ‘The impact on the workload of the Ward Manager with the introduction of administrative assistants’ Journal of Nursing Management 19, pp. 177–185.
- Sunley R, and Locke R (2010) ‘Exploring UK secondary teachers’ professional values: an overview of the literature since 2000’ Educational Research 52(4) pp. 409-425
- Drennan V et al (2007) ‘Entrepreneurial nurses and midwives in the United Kingdom: an integrative review’ Journal of Advanced Nursing 60(5) pp. 459-69.
- Weiss M, Locke R and Graham A (2007) ‘Users’ views of new providers of emergency contraception: A qualitative study’ Primary Health Care Primary Health Care Research & Development 8.
- Evaluation of Wessex Coaching Initiative Thames Valley and Wessex Leadership Academy, 2016
- Evaluation of Remediation Support in UK, Dentistry General Dental Council, 2015
- Local workforce issues in general practice: a way ahead, GP Education Unit, Southampton and Wessex Local Medical Committees
- Evaluation of a GP Mentoring Network: Wessex Insight GP School, Health Education Wessex, February 2014
- Evaluation of the use of Myers Briggs Type Indicator with Speciality Registrars and their Educational Supervisors, December (2011)
- Locke R, Lees A and Scallan S Prevention of Harmful Stress Amongst Doctors. BJGP Research Conference, Poster Presentation. 23 March 2018, London.
- Locke R, Bell J, Scallan S, Ozguler B and Caesar S The Development of Medical Appraisers. BJGP Research Conference, Poster Presentation. 23 March 2018, London.
- Lees A and Locke R, Prevention of Harmful Stress Amongst Doctors. Paper presentation, BERA Conference, 5-7th September 2017, University of Sussex
- Locke, R, Lees A and Scallan S. Prevention of Harmful Stress Amongst Doctors. DEMEC Conference, 27-28 November 2017, Manchester. Poster prize Winner. Category CPD.
- Locke R, Scallan S, Ozguler B and Caesar S, The learning trajectory of medical appraisers: Community of practice and professional identiy in medical appraisal, Paper presentation, BERA Conference, 13- 15 September 2016, University of Leeds
- Locke R. Lees, A and Scallan. S: Prevention of harmful stress amongst doctors, Poster presentation, RCGP Conference, 6-8 October, 2016 Harrogate.
- Locke R, Scallan S, Ozguler B and Caesar S, Community of practice and professional identity in medical appraisal, Poster presentation, RCGP Conference, 6-8 October, 2016 Harrogate.
- Locke R, Scallan. S, Mann R, Alexander, G and Kibble, S. Effective strategies used by doctors with dyslexia in the workplace, Poster presentation, RCGP Conference, 6-8 October, 2016 Harrogate
- Masding M, Odbert R, Locke R, Scallan S and Lees A (2015) Tasters in general practice: GP ST3 trainees mentoring FY1s, NACT UK Foundation Programme Sharing Good Practice Event (March)
- Locke R, Scallan S, Mann R and Alexander G (2014) Doctors with dyslexia: a systematic review of effective workarounds, Centre for Hampshire Collaboration for Health Research and Education launch event (September), the University of Winchester, and RCGP Annual Conference (October)
- Mountfield J, Donovan L, Ball K, Locke R and Scallan S (2014) Recognising and reducing stress in the transition from medical student to foundation trainee, Centre for Hampshire Collaboration for Health Research and Education launch event (September), the University of Winchester, and BMA International Conference on Physician Health, Milestones and Transitions (September) and RCGP Annual Conference (October)