Bill Lucas is Professor of Learning and Director of the Centre for Real-World Learning (CRL). He founded CRL in 2008, together with Prof. Guy Claxton. Bill is known internationally as a speaker on the subjects of learning, change, creativity, and leadership. He travels extensively to present keynotes, most recently in Sydney, Philadelphia, Helskinki, Qatar, Melbourne, Auckland, Belfast and Dubai. He is a prolific writer, and has authored and co-authored over forty books.
With Guy Claxton he is the creator of one of the biggest teacher researcher groups in the world, the Expansive Education Network.
Selected recent publications
- Lucas, Bill and Claxton, Guy (2015) Educating Ruby: what children really need to learn. Crown House Publishing Ltd.
- Lucas, Bill and Claxton, Guy and Spencer, Ellen (2013) Expansive Education: Teaching learners for the real world. McGraw Hill Education.
- Lucas, Bill and Mulvey, Christopher (2013) A History of the English Language in 100 Places. Robert Hale, London.
- Lucas, Bill (2017) Capabilities: the new currency for success. Every Child Journal.
- Lucas, Bill (2016) A Five-Dimensional Model of Creativity and its Assessment in Schools. Applied Measurement in Education, 29 (4). pp. 278-290.
- Claxton, Guy and Lucas, Bill (2016) Open Dialogue: The Hole in the Heart of Education (and the role of psychology in addressing it). Psychology of Education Review, 40 (1). pp. 4-12.
- Lucas, Bill and Hanson, Janet (2016) Thinking Like an Engineer: Using Engineering Habits of Mind and signature pedagogies to redesign Engineering Education. International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy, 6 (2). pp. 4-13.
- Lucas, Bill (2016) We need to talk about pedagogy. Education Leader and Manager. pp. 14-15.
- Lucas, Bill (2015) Getting the improvement habit. BMJ Quality and Safety, 25. pp. 400-403.
- Lucas, Bill and Claxton, Guy and Spencer, Ellen (2014) Progression in student creativity in school: first steps towards new forms of formative assessments. Progression in student creativity in school: first steps towards new forms of formative assessments, 6 (2). pp. 81-121.
- Lucas, Bill and Claxton, Guy and Spencer, Ellen (2013) Student Creativity in School: First steps towards new forms of formative assessment. OECD Education Working Papers (86). pp. 1-46.
- Lucas, Bill and Claxton, Guy (2012) Why We Should All Be Hands-On. Times Educational Supplement.