I am a Senior Lecturer in Applied Archaeological Techniques. As an undergraduate I studied at Winchester; having spent time working for both English Heritage and Clywd Powys Archaeological Trust, I returned to the University in 1997. I was a research student in the Archaeology Department between 1997 and 2005, during which time I helped to start a new Archaeological Consultancy called Context One Archaeological Services (COAS) with two colleagues (Richard McConnell, now COAS and Kerry Ely, now Time Team).
Also in 1997 I began a major research project for English Heritage based at the University, to create a National Database of Medieval Pottery Production Centres in England (2003). This work formed the basis of my PhD research titled Medieval Pottery Production Centres in England AD 850 - 1600 (2006).
In 2004, I was actively involved in setting up Archaeology's consultancy arm (ARCA), headed up by Dr Keith Wilkinson. I now carry out a range of consultancy work and combine this with the teaching of archaeological techniques within the undergraduate BA Archaeology and BA Archaeological Practice degree programmes.
I was Co-Director (with Dr Simon Roffey) of the Department’s recent training excavation at the medieval hospital of St Mary Magdalen, Winchester (MHARP) and I am the lead investigator for Winchester in the international collaborative project The Final Flight of Halifax LV881.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA).
Areas of expertise
- Archaeological excavation techniques
- Total station and GPS survey
- Geophysical survey
- Medieval ceramics
- WWII archaeology
- Roffey, S., Tucker, K., Filipek-Ogden, K., Montgomery, J., Cameron, J., O’Connell, T., Evans, J., Marter, P. and Taylor, G.M. (2017) Investigation of a medieval pilgrim burial excavated from the Leprosarium of St Mary Magdalen Winchester, UK. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases (read it here)
- G.M. Taylor, K. Tucker, R. Butler, A.W.G. Pike, J. Lewis, S. Roffey, P. Marter, O.Y-C Lee, H.H. T. Wu, D.E. Minnikin, G.S. Besra, P. Singh, S.T. Cole, G.R. Stewart 2013 Detection and Strain Typing of Ancient Mycobacterium leprae from a Medieval Leprosy Hospital PLOS One open-access online publlication (read it here).
- Roffey, S and Marter, P. 2012. Treating leprosy St Mary Magdalen, Winchester. Current Archaeology 267, 12-18.
- Roffey, S and Marter, P. 2012. Excavations at St Mary Magdalen Winchester 2008 - 2012. Hampshire Field Club Newsletter 57, 3-4.
- Roffey, S and Marter, P 2011. St Mary Magdalen Hospital Winchester. British Archaeology 177, 22-27.
- Roffey, S and Marter P 2010a, Recent Excavations at St Mary Magdalen, Winchester. Medieval Archaeology 54.
- Roffey, S and Marter P 2010b, ‘Excavations at St Mary Magdalen, Winchester’. Monastic Research Bulletin 16.
- Marter, P., 2007. ‘Ploughsoil Experiments at Shapwick’, in C. Gerrard & M. Aston (eds), The Shapwick Project, Somerset. A rural landscape explored. London: Society for Medieval Archaeology.
- Marter, P., 2003. National Database of Medieval Pottery Production Centres in England. Database produced for English Heritage.
- Marter, P., and McConnell, R., 1999. Preparations for War: World War II Civil Defence in the City of Winchester. Hampshire Field Club and Archaeology Society 54, 146-62.
- Marter P., 1997. 'Shaping the Past: An Experiment in Ploughzone Archaeology', in: C. Gerrard and M. Aston (eds), The Shapwick Project. An Archaeological, Historical and Topographic Study. The Seventh Report. Department of Continuing Education, University of Bristol, pp 249-56.
- Marter, P., 2008. An archaeological watching brief and geophysical surveys at Old Alresford House, Alresford, Hampshire. ARCA report, University of Winchester, June 2008.
- Marter, P., 2008. A geophysical survey and watching brief at Bar End, Winchester. ARCA report, University of Winchester, January 2008.
- Marter, P., 2007. Earthwork and Geophysical Surveys at St Gertrudes’s Chapel, Winchester, Hampshire. ARCA report, University of Winchester, November 2007.
- Marter, P., 2007. An Archaeological Watching Brief at The Bugle Inn, Twyford, Hampshire. ARCA report, University of Winchester, June 2007.
- Marter, P., 2006. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Northington Grange, Hampshire. Report for Grange Park Opera.
- Marter, P., 2006. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Stoke Hill Farm, Hampshire. Report for R.J. Smith and Co.