Dr Ester Massa is Lecturer in Criminology. After having completed her secondary school studies with a specialisation in computer sciences, Ester graduated in Law at the University of Bologna in 2005 and completed her PhD in Criminology at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart of Milan, in 2011. After graduating, Ester worked at the University of Bologna, teaching and researching as part of the Criminology team. For a brief period (2009-10) she also had an appointment as Researcher at the Department for Urban Security and Local Police of the Regional Government of Emilia-Romagna. As Research Associate in Bologna, she worked on a number of mainly quantitative studies, carrying on, from 2006 to 2010, an extensive self-report survey on juvenile delinquency in the secondary schools of her region.
From 2012 to 2014 she was involved in two comparative studies, the first dealing with the juridical and sociological concepts of irregular conduct (Italy) and antisocial behaviour (UK), and the second comparing the features of migratory and criminalisation processes in Italy and in the United States.
In terms of teaching, from 2008 she was tutor for the Italian course of Criminologia and the international course Crime, Punishment and Society. In 2012 she extended her experience in teaching to postgraduate students, collaborating with the interuniversity Master's in Critic Criminology and Social Security. Deviance, city and policies of prevention, jointly offered by the University of Padua and Bologna, in which she was responsible for the 'Quantitative Analysis and Self-reports' module.
Her current teaching responsibilities comprise Criminal Justice and Punishment; Criminological Research and undergraduate dissertation supervision.
- Ester Massa, 'Punishment and Political Economy', in Yvonne Jewkes, Jamie Bennett e Ben Crewe (eds), Handbook on Prisons, 2nd edition, Routledge (forthcoming in 2016)
- Dario Melossi, Stefania Crocitti, Ester Massa, Dino Gibertoni (2011), Devianza e immigrazione: una ricerca nelle scuole dell’Emilia-Romagna, Quaderni di città sicure 37, Bologna: Regione Emilia-Romagna.
- Dario Melossi, Stefania Crocitti and Ester Massa (2009), Figli e figlie dell’immigrazione, devianza, controllo sociale:una ricerca in Emilia-Romagna, "Antigone", 2-3, 100-124.
- Dario Melossi, Alessandro De Giorgi and Ester Massa (2009), The 'normality' of 'second generations' in Italy and the importance of legal status: a self-report study', in William F. McDonald (a c. di) Immigration, Crime and Justice, Sociology of Crime, Law and Deviance, volume 13, Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
- Dario Melossi, Alessandro De Giorgi and Ester Massa (2008), Minori stranieri tra conflitto normativo e devianza: la seconda generazione si confessa?, Sociologia del diritto, 2/2008, 99-129.
- Ester Massa (2007), Inclusione ed esclusione nelle scuole bolognesi: socializzazione normativa e devianza delle 'seconde generazioni', Africa e Mediterraneo, 59, 23-26.
- Ester is also responsible for the translation from English and French of several criminology articles.
08/11/2013: Devianza e immigrazione: una ricerca nelle scuole dell’Emilia-Romagna, at the conference Questione Criminale e diritti, Roma, 7- 8 November 2013
07/09/2013: Foreign Minors, Schools and Deviance: a Self-Report Survey in the Secondary Schools of Emilia Romagna, at the Annual Conference of the European Society of Criminology, Budapest, 4-7 September 2013
14/06/2013: Juvenile Delinquency and Self-Report Surveys, lecture at the Master in Critic Criminology and social security. Deviance, city and policies of prevention, University of Bologna
19/04/2013: Juvenile Delinquency and Self-Report Surveys, lecture at the University of Ravenna
21/11/2012: Juvenile Delinquency and Self-Report Surveys, lecture at the University of Rovigo
14/11/2012: Foreign Minors and Deviance: a Self-Report Survey in the Secondary Schools of Emilia Romagna, at the 68th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology, Chicago, 14-17 November 2012
29/04/2011: Devianza e immigrazione: una ricerca nelle scuole dell’Emilia-Romagna, Bologna, Seminar Migrazioni, Devianza e Controllo Sociale
24/03/2011: Devianza e Immigrazione: Una Ricerca Nelle Scuole Dell’Emilia-Romagna, conference for presenting the final results of the study ‘Minori stranieri tra socializzazioni in conflitto e devianza: la questione della c.d. seconda generazione in Emilia Romagna’, Bologna
19-20/2/2009: The ‘children of immigration’, deviance, social control: a study in the schools of Emilia-Romagna at the workshop School as Scene of Social Cohesion and Crime Prevention: Problem or Solution?, Bruxelles
27-28/10/ 2008: Figli dell’immigrazione, devianza e controllo sociale: uno studio nelle scuole dell’Emilia-Romagna, at the conference I giovani immigrati e le loro famiglie, Ancona
9-10/10/2008: Second Generations, Stigmatization and Italian Schools: First Results of a Self-Report Study in Emilia Romagna at the workshop The Changing Nature of the Institutional Crime and Political Framework of Crime Prevention in Europe: The Case of Ethnicity and Migration, Bologna
5/9/2008: Second Generations, Stigmatisation and Italian schools at the 8th Annual Conference of the European Society of Criminology, Edinburgh
27/9/2007: Stigmatisation and Deviance of Second Generation Immigrants at the 7th Annual Conference of the European Society of Criminology, Bologna
25/7/2007: Second Generations in Italy between Culture Conflict and Deviance: A Self-Report Study at the conference Law and Society in the 21st Century. Annual Meeting of the Law and Society Association, Berlin
3/5/2007: Minori stranieri tra socializzazioni in conflitto e devianza. La seconda generazione si confessa? at the conference Seconde generazioni in Italia. Presente e futuro dei processi di integrazione dei figli di immigrati, Bologna
29-30/9/2006: Minori stranieri tra socializzazioni in conflitto e devianza. La seconda generazione si confessa? at the conference Socializzazione e diritti. Bambini ed adolescenti nella società delle culture, AstiStaff Directory