Dr Ross was awarded a MA (Hons) Psychology (First Class) at the University of Glasgow before pursuing a career in marketing and market research. While working, she completed a PgDip Management Studies at Templeton College, University of Oxford. Since returning to academia, Dr Ross completed a MSc Research Methods in Psychology (Distintion) at Univeristy of Reading and a PhD in Psychology at University of Portsmouth. Her PhD, supervised by Professor Kim Bard, was an observational study of joyful emotions in infancy across cultures and species.
Dr Ross joined the University of Winchester in November 2011 and subsequently completed a PgCert (Distinction) Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA)
Areas of expertise
- Emotional expressions in infancy
- Children's social and emotional development
- Children's reading development
- Observational studies
- Ross, K., Pye, R.E. and Randell, J. (2016) Reading touch screen storybooks with mothers negatively affects 7-year-old readers’ comprehension but enriches emotional engagement. Frontiers in Psychology, 7: 1728. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.01728
- Gray, D., Ross, K.M., Prat-Sala, M., Kibble, S., & Harden, B. (2015). Stepping back and listening: Staff experiences of using a coaching approach in an acute rehabilitation ward for older adults. Qualitative Health Research, 18 October 2015 (online), 1-10. doi:10.1177/1049732315604589
- Ross, K. M., Bard, K. A., & Matsuzawa, T. (2015). Playful expressions of one-year-old chimpanzee infants in social and solitary play contexts. In E. Di Paolo & H. De Jaegher (Eds), Towards an embodied science of intersubjectivity: widening the scope of social understanding research (pp 158-170). Lausanne: Frontiers Media. doi: 10.3389/978-2-88919-529-9
- Kibble, S., Gray, D., Prat-Sala, M., Ross, K., Johnson, K., Packer, J., Harden, B. (2014). Recovery coaching in an acute older people rehabilitation ward. BMJ Quality Improvement Reports, 3. doi:10.1136/bmjquality.u205646.w2316
- Ross, K. M., Bard, K. A., & Matsuzawa, T. (2014). Playful expressions of one-year-old chimpanzee infants in social and solitary play contexts. Frontiers in Psychology, 5: 741. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00741
- Thorsteinsson, K., Ross, K., & Bard, K.A. (2008). Positive emotional expressions in chimpanzee infants. Primate Eye: Primate Society of Great Britain, 96 – Special Issue, 37.
- Bard, KA, Butler, LA, Ross, K, & Keller, H. (2011). Socio-emotional contexts of naturally occurring joint attention events in 1-year-old Nso humans and 1-year-old chimpanzee infants. In symposium organized by G Deak & K De Barbaro, entitled "How (Measuring) Moment-to-Moment Changes in Behavior can Help Explain Processes of Human and Non-Human Infants' Social Development", held at the Society for Research in Child Development, Montreal, Canada, 31 March - 3 April 2011.
- Ross, K., Bard, K., & Thorsteinsson, K. (2008, March). The form and context of smiles in infancy across cultures and across species. In K. Bard (Chair), Smiling and laughter in infants in comparative and developmental perspective. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the International Society of Infant Studies, Vancouver, BC.
Under previous name, Brown:
- Brown, K.M., Bard, K.A., Keller, H., Yovsi, R.D., & Otto, H. (2007, August). Joyful emotions in one-year-old British and Cameroonian infants. In K. Bard (Chair), The first years of life: broadening our understanding of development by taking a cultural models perspective. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the 13th European Conference on Developmental Psychology, Jena, Germany.
- Brown, K.M., Bard, K.A., Keller, H., Yovsi, R.D., & Otto, H. (2007, March). Joyful emotions in infancy: cross-cultural and cross-species comparisons. Poster session presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Boston, MA.
- Brown, K.M., Bard, K.A., Tomonaga, M., Keller, H., & Yovsi, R.D. (2006, July). The experience of joy in infancy: cross-cultural and cross-species comparisons. Poster session presented at the 18th International Congress of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology, Isle of Spetses, Greece.
- Ross, K.M. (2011, June). Joyful expressions in infancy: Cross-species comparisons. Paper presented at the Mini-Conference on Primate Enculturation, University of Portsmouth.